[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Another Word 4 problem

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) (07/28/90)

How does one go about converting style A to style B?
More specifically, I want to convert all Courier fonts to
Times without affecting any symbol fonts I have
used.

Suppose I wanted to convert all  Courier superscripts to
Zapf Dingbats subscripts. Could that be done?

I know that a few years ago a program for doing this type
of thing was posted, but that was pre-Word 4.0.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (07/28/90)

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:
>How does one go about converting style A to style B?
>More specifically, I want to convert all Courier fonts to
>Times without affecting any symbol fonts I have
>used.

>Suppose I wanted to convert all  Courier superscripts to
>Zapf Dingbats subscripts. Could that be done?

>I know that a few years ago a program for doing this type
>of thing was posted, but that was pre-Word 4.0.

Save the document in RTF format, open the file WITHOUT interpreting the RTF
code, look at the beginning of the document for /f# Courier and /f# Times,
do a change from the Courier font number (the /f#) to the Times font number.

As for the multiple-type (font/format) stuff, you can do that, but you have
to know what you're looking for (I don't mess with RTF all that much).

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (07/28/90)

In article <43414@apple.Apple.COM>, austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) says:

>jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:
>>How does one go about converting style A to style B?
>>More specifically, I want to convert all Courier fonts to
>>Times without affecting any symbol fonts I have
>>used.
>

>Save the document in RTF format, open the file WITHOUT interpreting the RTF
>code, look at the beginning of the document for /f# Courier and /f# Times,
>do a change from the Courier font number (the /f#) to the Times font number.

????  I must be missing something here.  The change can be done simply by
a modification of the "Normal" style of the document.  If the body of text is
written in Courier, with scientific notation in Symbol, this requires explicit
instructions.  In other words, the formulas are not "plain for style (.)."
All text plain for style (Courier in the above question) will be affected
by the style redefinition.  All text made explicitly different (using the
character formatting) will not be affected.  Anyway, that works for my papers.

Stephane