[comp.sys.mac.wanted] troff conversion to Mac document format

kfh@cbnews.att.com (kevin.hennessy) (07/05/90)

  I am looking for any utilities that will convert existing troff document
files to some form of WYSIWYG format.  Would like to end up with a format
to be used on a Mac (MacWrite, MS Word, of Fullwrite).  A MS-DOS based
editor format would also work, since I have filters to move MS-DOS document
format files to Mac document format files already (MacLink Translators).
  My goal is to move our existing troff documents to the Mac for future
generic releases.  Our customer uses Macs for their internal document
translation (English to Japanese) and they have requested that future
versions of User Guides be delivered "online" in a Mac format so they
can translate the User Guides to their native language.
  My guess is the conversion will not be 100%, but at this point any
level of conversion (short of raw text) would be helpful.

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Martin) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul5.124932.28849@cbnews.att.com> kfh@cbnews.att.com (kevin.hennessy) writes:

>  I am looking for any utilities that will convert existing troff document
>files to some form of WYSIWYG format.  Would like to end up with a format
>to be used on a Mac (MacWrite, MS Word, of Fullwrite).

If you're familiar with sed, lex, or awk, you could write a script
which converts the raw troff documents to rtf format, sort of a
primitive "macroff" :-). I did something similar several years back
when I moved my research papers and refer database over to the mac. I
didn't bother converting the troff mm macros; I simply cleaned up the
document format.

-- Brian
====
Brian K. Martin, M.D.
INTERNET: martin@medix.pegasus.com, bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
ARPA: uhccux!bmartin@nosc.MIL
UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin

paulr@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Raulerson) (07/28/90)

You can also just use troff (or enscript if you have transcript avail)
to process the sources docs into Postscript and then use any one of a
number of PD PS-viewers available.

Paul

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!paulr
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!paulr@nosc.mil
INET: paulr@pnet51.orb.mn.org