[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Any Econometrics Packages?

jxk857@csc.anu.oz (08/04/90)

Help!

I am looking for econometrics packages/softwares for Mac
equivalent to (or similar to) PC (or Micro) TSP, Data-Fit, or
PC Give which is widely used in IBM PC.

Any information would be appreciated.>

hardy@rhi.hi.is (Yngvi Hardarson) (08/09/90)

In article <2608.26badc77@csc.anu.oz> jxk857@csc.anu.oz writes:
>Help!
>
>I am looking for econometrics packages/softwares for Mac
>equivalent to (or similar to) PC (or Micro) TSP, Data-Fit, or
>PC Give which is widely used in IBM PC.
>
>Any information would be appreciated.>

I know of two programs that are currently available:

1)  RATS

    Available from:
    VAR Econometrics, Inc.
    1800 Sherman Ave. Suite 612
    Evanston, IL60201
    USA
    Tel: (708) 864 8772
    FAX: (708) 864 6221

    This program comes in two versions, i.e. a regular MacRATS version
    and a MacRATS 020 version that requires 68020 or 68030 Mac with a
    68881 or 68882 FPU.

2)  SHAZAM

    Available from:
    Kenneth J. White
    Department of Economics
    University of British Columbia
    Vancouver, B.C,
    Canada V6T 1Y2

I have only used RATS on the Mac. It is a fairly sophisticated program
but quite un-Mac'ish. The Mac version of RATS seems much better than the
PC version which tries to mimic the Mac interface.

I have used SHAZAM on DEC/VAX systems and it is a very solid product.
It seems to have quite efficient algorithms as for non-linear estimation
goes.

Further on the subject... I don't know if the programs you mention are being
developed for the Mac except I recall Mr. Hendry stating that a release of
GIVE for the Mac is not planned. This was at a lecture in Canada a few years
ago.

Please let me know if you find out about other Econometrics software that is
available currently or will be made available in the near future.

Regards,

Yngvi Hardarson
Federation of Icelandic Industries
and
University of Iceland

Internet: hardy@rhi.hi.is

Ps. I tried emailing you but my mail was returned. Any advice on how to
    get my mail delivered to .oz ??