[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Sell your Mac SEs / II's / IIcx's while you can!

robiner@oberon.usc.edu (08/23/90)

The SI's are coming, the SI's are coming!

Mac Week announces Apple will discontinue the SE and IIcx.  The new
Mac SI is rumoured to be an 68030 at 20Mhz w/on-board 8-bit color
and 1 slot for less than the cost of the CX.

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (08/23/90)

In article <26767@usc.edu> robiner@oberon.usc.edu writes:

>The SI's are coming, the SI's are coming!

How the heck does this degrade the usefulness of my SE?

sjbury@owlnet.rice.edu (scott j bury) (08/23/90)

regarding the si's  and the need to rush out and sell your now *tired?*
SE's/II/IIcx's.....

my IIcx is staying put. it's a good machine.

furthermore...

the university mac dealer said MacWeek was full of it and that IIcx's
were out-selling IIci's by 5 to 1
(greater ratio here).  but perhaps this is Apple logic, i.e, stop
selling and supporting a good product :-)

scott j bury

disclaimer:

rice does not acknowledge my existence nor my ideas

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (08/24/90)

In article <26767@usc.edu> robiner@oberon.usc.edu writes:

>Mac Week announces Apple will discontinue the SE and IIcx.  The new

WHAT! And I thought it would be safer to buy an SE instead of a Plus...

:-)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.103956@barred.rice.edu> sjbury@owlnet.rice.edu (scott j bury) writes:
>the university mac dealer said MacWeek was full of it and that IIcx's
>were out-selling IIci's by 5 to 1
>(greater ratio here).  but perhaps this is Apple logic, i.e, stop
>selling and supporting a good product :-)

The MacWeek article also said that the IIci's price will be dropped to
near that of the IIcx.  I guess Apple figures this will make the IIcx
obsolete.

--
Barry E. Brown        --        \  Cal-Animage Beta publicity officer
bebrown@ucsd.{edu,uucp,bitnet}   \   Anime Stuff FTP Server administrator

robiner@oberon.usc.edu (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.103956@barred.rice.edu> sjbury@owlnet.rice.edu (scott j bury) writes:

>regarding the si's  and the need to rush out and sell your now *tired?*
>SE's/II/IIcx's.....
>
>furthermore...
>the university mac dealer said MacWeek was full of it and that IIcx's
>were out-selling IIci's by 5 to 1
>(greater ratio here).  but perhaps this is Apple logic, i.e, stop
>selling and supporting a good product :-)

Apple is discontinuing the CX because compared to the CI they loose money
on it since people buy it empty and put in 3rd-party video boards, accelerators,
etc.  THAT'S why its outselling the CI.  Apple figures if they stop selling
the CX, all those CX buyers will switch to the CI and apple will make more
money.

=steve=