[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Columns Source

jmh@petunia.network.com (Joel Halpern) (08/23/90)

Recently, the game columns was posted to comp.binaries.mac. I
was wondering whether the macintosh source to this game was
available, and if so what language/package was used to build
it.  It is a very nice addictive implementation.

Thanks,
Joel M. Halpern			jmh@nsco.network.com
Network Systems Corporation

P.S.  I recently posted a note asking how to change the default
status file name for Seahaven Towers.  Right after I posted that,
our news feed was temporarily cut.  If anybody has the answer,
could they email it to me?  Thanks.

chris@momenta (Chris Christensen) (08/26/90)

jmh@petunia.network.com (Joel Halpern) writes:

>Recently, the game columns was posted to comp.binaries.mac. I
>was wondering whether the macintosh source to this game was
>available, and if so what language/package was used to build
>it.  It is a very nice addictive implementation.

There is an interesting story here if you have the time.

As the credits for Columns mention, Columns started as a port of a game
on X11 that I played at Hewlett-Packard called Xcolumns. Xcolumns was
written by Jay Gertsen to learn the X11 window system. Jay wrote the
program at work and thus the trouble began.

After he OKed my version (and sent his picture for the credits) he was
approached by someone who wanted to  buy the rights for the game (he
had seen an IBM PC port). But, since Jay wrote this game at work, it
legally belonged to HP. In these cases he needs permission from his
general manager to gain the rights. His GM does not want to give him
the rights, because that would encourage  people using HP equiptment
for personal gain (even though he did it  on his own time and HP gained
from the knowlege he learned about X11 that he later applied to his
job). In the end HP sold the rights to a lawyer for $10,000 and gave
the money to charity in Jay's name.

So...
because portions of my code came from this version and mostly becuase
Jay asked me to, I don't give out the source code.