[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Is there a TAR utility for the Mac?

wsmith@cayman.amd.com (Walter Smith) (09/01/90)

Here's the scenerio ...

My Mac II is linked via AppleTalk and a FastPath to a Sun. On the Sun,
I have 6.5 Mbs of files in a very nested directory setup. My usual
method of downloading the files (FTP) doesn't preserve directory
hierarchies when I transfer files to my Mac. Thus the dilemma, how do I
get these files to my Mac with their hierarchy relationships intake
without massive amounts of user intervention?

My first thought was to TAR them on the Sun, FTP this huge file, and
unTAR them on my Mac. Thus my query: does anyone have a TAR utility for
the Mac? Or perhaps even: Is there a better way of doing this sort of
thing?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Please email responses to the
address below. Thanks.

wls

******** Walter Smith, wsmith@cayman.AMD.COM, (512) 462-5544 **********
 ******* "The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; ********
  ****** the more light you pour on it, the more it contracts." *****
   *********************************************** - O.W.Holmes ****

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Aug31.214344.16617@mozart.amd.com> wsmith@cayman.amd.com
(Walter Smith) writes:
> Thus my query: does anyone have a TAR utility for
> the Mac?

There is a version of tar for the Mac available via anonymous FTP from
ncar.ucar.edu in the directory /pub/Mac.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000