[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Info about Mac startup screens

a379@mindlink.UUCP (Gordon Mulcaster) (09/06/90)

Mac StartUp screens are bit maps, pure and simple.
--
EMail to:                 | Al Bundy, Al Bundy,
    a379@mindlink.uupc    | Brave, courageous, and bold.
                          | Long live his fame,
Flames to:                | Long live his glory,
    dev/nul               | And long may his story be told.

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (09/07/90)

What data format are files known as Mac start up screens?  I am trying
to convert one of the files in your info-mac library from a start up screen
format into a format usable on a SPARC and do not seem to be having much
luck.

I have some programs able to convert TIFF, PICT, and MacPaint files into
a format that are usable.  Are there some other Unix format conversion
programs to handle the other mac graphics formats?
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

In article <9009061758.AA11504@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>What data format are files known as Mac start up screens?  I am trying
>to convert one of the files in your info-mac library from a start up screen
>format into a format usable on a SPARC and do not seem to be having much
>luck.

This depends on your startupscreen.  Old B&W mac startupscreens were
just 22K of screen data-- not hard to read at all.  New mac startupscreens
are files that have a PICT resource ID=0 in their resource fork-- unless
you have a resource-extractor, you are going to have a problem with these.
If you do have a resource-extractor, fix it so it writes 512 bytes of zeros
before the resource data, anbd run the result through your PICT converter.