[comp.sys.mac.wanted] 512 drives

Barry.Chern@p4.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Barry Chern) (09/22/90)

I have a friend with a 512 whose hard drive has crashed. He doesn't have an
SCSI port, and repairing the old drive seems like a waste of money. He thinks
that for the kind of stuff he does, he could really get by with another floppy
drive. However, a used hard drive might also be an answer.

If you have any drives in good condition that will work with a 512, then please
let us know

thanks,
Barry

--
Barry Chern via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.4!Barry.Chern

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (09/24/90)

In article <71884.26FAF868@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Barry.Chern@p4.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Barry Chern) writes:

>I have a friend with a 512 whose hard drive has crashed. He doesn't have an
>SCSI port, and repairing the old drive seems like a waste of money. He thinks
>that for the kind of stuff he does, he could really get by with another floppy
>drive. However, a used hard drive might also be an answer.

>thanks,
>Barry

It might be worth your friends while to consider upgrading his machine
to include a SCSI port. If the 512 has the 64k ROM set and an 800k
floppy, there are a number of kits available. I have used the NewLife 1
board on several machines. This provides a SCSI port, plus the
capability to upgrade the Mac to as much as 4M of memory. The upgraded
machine is supposed to be 20% faster than a MacPlus. The board is
available from:
              Newbridge Microsystems
              603 March Road
              Kanata, Ontario
              K2K 2M5
              Canada
              Tel. (613) 592 0714
The board has a retail price of $360 Canadian, and you can order
direct, if need be (they do VISA etc.). Dove also do similar upgrades,
but I believe that the NewLife board is faster, and I do not know if
the Dove board will support 4M of memory. The NewLife board uses their
own custom chip to do all the clever stuff.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (09/26/90)

In article <4568@testeng1.misemi> stanfiel@testeng1.UUCP () writes:
>In article <71884.26FAF868@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Barry.Chern@p4.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Barry Chern) writes:
>>
>>I have a friend with a 512 whose hard drive has crashed. He doesn't have an
>>SCSI port, and repairing the old drive seems like a waste of money.

>It might be worth your friends while to consider upgrading his machine
>to include a SCSI port. If the 512 has the 64k ROM set and an 800k
>floppy, there are a number of kits available.

That would be a 512E, and the original poster indicated he had a 512.
Personally,  I would be reluctant to upgrade a 512 at this point, with
the Plus going for about $700 and soon to be orphaned, a 512 is really only
worth a couple hundred dollars (I sold a 512E and HD-20 for $450 recently).

I'd suggest opening up the hard drive's case (is it an Apple HD-20?) and
seeing what the actual drive mechanism is.  Assuming the power supply
and interface is ok, you can probably get a cheap replacement bare drive from
one of the places that advertise in Computer Shopper.  You'll also find
ads for several places that repair bare drives for reasonable fees....