[comp.sys.mac.wanted] TeX output on a Deskwriter

warwick@oak.math.ucla.edu (Warwick Daw) (10/08/90)

I recently got a non-appletalk deskwriter (the student's store is
selling the old models new for $440), and I would like to print TeX
files out on it. What experience do people out there have doing this?

I have OzTeX, but it only produces Postscript output. I think I've
identified 3 options, and I'd like any information and/or opinions
people have on any of them:

1) Get a dvi to quickdraw converter. I have dvim72, but it apparently
needs 300dpi fonts to work with the Deskwriter. Does anyone have
300dpi fonts for dvim72 or know of another dvi to quickdraw converter?

2) Get TeXtures ($129 at student's store). I've seen it work on an
appletalk deskwriter, so I assume it will work on mine.

3) Get Freedom of Press (about $250 mail-order). I heard that there is
another less expensive postscript-to-quickdraw conversion program that
is less expensive, which I'd also like to know about.

I'm a poor grad student, so cost is a BIG issue.

Thanks in advance

Warwick Daw   (warwick@math.ucla.edu)

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (10/08/90)

In article <497@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> warwick@math.ucla.edu (Warwick Daw) writes:

>I have OzTeX, but it only produces Postscript output. I think I've
>identified 3 options, and I'd like any information and/or opinions
>people have on any of them:
>
>1) Get a dvi to quickdraw converter. I have dvim72, but it apparently
>needs 300dpi fonts to work with the Deskwriter. Does anyone have
>300dpi fonts for dvim72 or know of another dvi to quickdraw converter?

OzTeX comes with 300dpi fonts.  They are in the same format (PK format)
that dvim72 requires.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY