[comp.sys.mac.wanted] SIMMs Prices

jg23+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Gray) (10/02/90)

  I saw a lot of messages about Simms prices.  The lowest I saw was $39,
but today I got an ads from "Dartek".  In the ad it said they are selling
80ns 1 megs SIMMs for $16.  I think it's a lot lower then $39.  Can any one
give me more info on Dartek?

Thanx

John

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/03/90)

In article <ob20q6y00WB54XfEQp@andrew.cmu.edu> jg23+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Gray) writes:
>  I saw a lot of messages about Simms prices.  The lowest I saw was $39,
>but today I got an ads from "Dartek".  In the ad it said they are selling
>80ns 1 megs SIMMs for $16.  I think it's a lot lower then $39.  Can any one
>give me more info on Dartek?

Well, I called Dartek at 1-800-323-1872 to ask about this.  They sell Dove
brand name SIMMs for $69 each.  They also sell an upgrade "kit" consisting
of 2 1-meg SIMMs, some software, some manuals, and a telephone number for
tech support for $169.

Not even competitive.  I'd be interested in seeing a copy of that $16 ad.

chaz
       "I Am The Reincarnation of Abraham Lincoln", Insists Prince.
                 			 -spew
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

willcox@urbana.mcd.mot.com (David A Willcox) (10/04/90)

>In article <ob20q6y00WB54XfEQp@andrew.cmu.edu> jg23+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Gray) writes:
>>  I saw a lot of messages about Simms prices.  The lowest I saw was $39,
>>but today I got an ads from "Dartek".  In the ad it said they are selling
>>80ns 1 megs SIMMs for $16.  I think it's a lot lower then $39.  Can any one
>>give me more info on Dartek?

>Well, I called Dartek at 1-800-323-1872 to ask about this.  They sell Dove
>brand name SIMMs for $69 each.  They also sell an upgrade "kit" consisting
>of 2 1-meg SIMMs, some software, some manuals, and a telephone number for
>tech support for $169.

>Not even competitive.  I'd be interested in seeing a copy of that $16 ad.

I got a copy of the same flyer today.  At the top of the page is
a large "SIMMs $33?*".  The '*' is very, very small.  Below, it says:

	*IMPOSSIBLE? That's our point.  Anyone can sell cheap
	Simms(sic).  The $33 is the small difference (on average) yoy
	pay for quality Dove 2Mb upgrade kits vs. generic Simms.

It goes on to list the disadvantages of "cheap Simms."

In other words, the $33 is how much MORE their SIMMs cost per 2Mb than
"generic Simms".  With Dartek's SIMMs at $69, and Peripheral
Outlet's at $39, the difference appears to be a lot larger than that.

Can you say "misleading advertising?"  The flyer just went into the trash,
as will anything else I get from them.

David A. Willcox		"Just say 'NO' to universal drug testing"
Motorola MCD - Urbana		UUCP: ...!uiucuxc!udc!willcox
1101 E. University Ave.		INET: willcox@urbana.mcd.mot.com
Urbana, IL 61801		FONE: 217-384-8534

mike@dayton.UUCP (Mike Baillargeon) (10/11/90)

Technology Works sold me four Meg of RAM for $49 a Meg + $10 for shipping.
Total cost $206.00.  I ordered it on a Monday and was installing it on
Wednesday.  I have an SE and I assume the memory I purchased was 120ns.

They included a Torx driver (to open an SE case) and an instruction booklet
The instructions were a little foggy at some points, but I was able to
do the install in an hour.  I could do it now in around 20-30 minutes.

--Mike

| Mike Baillargeon                       | As expected all opinions stated |
| mike@dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG               | are my own and mine alone.      |
| If I am elected, 2 Mac's in every office.                                |