[comp.sys.mac.wanted] SoftPC, IBM PC XT or AT emulator for Mac, REVIEW

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (10/08/90)

I recently posted a request for info regarding SoftPC, a Mac software
product from:

Insignia Solutions, Inc.
254 Geronimo Way
Sunnyvale, CA  94086
(408)522-7600

I'll summarize responses, and add a few observations as I now am using
the product to run an IBM PC terminal emulator on the Mac...

What SoftPC does:

*FULLY* emulate IBM PC/XT with the following features:

8088 processor; 256-640K ram; CGA graphics card; floppy disk drive
(if you have SuperDrive in Mac, otherwise can use DaynaFile or Kennect)
(the XT version does not emulate the 8087 math coprocessor)

AT version features:  80286 processor; 640K ram + access to LIM 4.0 extended
memory (up to 4meg); EGA or CGA option, supports 101-key AT extended keyboard,
80287 math co-processor support is available for Macs with 68881 or 68882.

BOTH versions allow the Mac serial ports to be configured as COM1 and COM2,
thus allowing telecommunications, etc.  Printer support is handled well,
but is slow by Mac standards.  PC applications that can be configured for
EPSON MX-80 printers can print on any printer supported by a Chooser-level
driver.  This includes the LaserWriter; but what is sent is the same info
that would be sent to an MX-80.  Support is apparently available for
PC printing to PostScript devices (as opposed to using the LaserWriter
to output data which the PC application 'thinks' is being sent to an Epson).
Two virtual hard disk drives can be set up on any Mac hard disk; to the Mac
these are simply large files of fixed size (1 to 30 meg).  The 30 meg
limitation, I believe, is a DOS limitation.

Operating System:  MS-DOS version 3.3 is used for both XT and AT, along with
GW-Basic.  Purchase of SoftPC licenses the operating system software from
Microsoft.  Supposedly, it is also possible to run MS-Windows; this is
likely to be slow, and a memory-hog.  Weird though -- a Mac emulation
running via a PC emulator on the Mac.  DOS MANUALS ARE NOT PROVIDED, as
many purchasers of SoftPC will have these as legacies of past sins.

Mac System requirements:  Mac II, IIx, IIcx, IIci, SE/30, or '030 accel. SE)
XT version requires 2meg Mac to run in Finder; XT uses 1730K in Multifinder.
AT version requires 3meg in Finder; and a minimum of 3000K in Multifinder.
With larger Multifinder partitions, the AT can use up to 4meg of LIM memory.

Evaluation:  Taking into consideration my limited knowledge of DOS,
and experience with PC applications, I am unable to write a really
technical review of SoftPC's performance.  However, I am IMPRESSED and
AMAZED at the things it does.  I have run Lotus 123 v.2, MS-Works v.1.0.5,
WordPerfect v.5.0, as well as a whole slew of PD or shareware applications
including games and terminal emulators.  I even recompiled and ran old Turbo
Pascal code I'd written (long ago) for the PC. I can't claim to have tested
any of these applications thoroughly, but I found no flaws.  EGA graphics
emulation on the AT is tricky on a small screen Mac; double-clicking the
window bar toggles between true EGA pixel mapping and pseudo-graphics
rounded off to fit the Mac window.  This doesn't affect large screen users.
Color is also supported; I have no way to check this on my SE/30.
Speed: the XT is faster than my PC clone, the AT is 1.5 to 2 times faster,
depending on the extent to which the coprocessor is used for the given
PC task.  Terminal emulation with a modem appears to be limited to
1200 baud, practically speaking.  The software supports up to 19.2kbaud;
speeds > 1200baud should be possible in direct-connect applications.
No special cabling is required for serial communications if the Mac
is already connected.  A special utility program "SlavePC" allows the
Mac to access the floppy disk drives of a serially connected PC; this
is slower than null modem transfers, but is available from within PC app's.

How to Order:  SoftPC is sold in two parts, XT and "EGA/AT option module".
Mail-order prices for the XT range from $215 to $275; the EGA option goes
for $120-$150.  A bundled package is available at substantial savings.
The vendow I used is "BottomLine Distribution" 1-900-420-3636, which offered
the bundle for $299.95.  Current version is 1.3.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for these guys or know them, but:  Hat's off!
The possibilities of this product are virtually endless.  It's a real
pity that the PC itself is not more exciting.  For me, it was a real
nostalgia trip, as well as a reminder of why I bought a Mac in the first
place.

Bill Johnston; 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949
(johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

mvidlak@cs.tamu.edu (Michael Vidlak) (10/08/90)

In article <32722@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
[stuff deleted]
> DOS MANUALS ARE NOT PROVIDED...

Insignia Solutions must have changed their product distribution.  When I
purchased my copy of SoftPC, a DOS manual covering MS-DOS 3.3 came with
the software.  When you get the AT/EGA module, you do not get the DOS
manual, however, you cannot run the AT/EGA module without SoftPC.

I tried loading Windows 3.0 on my machine, but when it slowed down to less
than a crawl,  I decided not to run it.  I have a Mac IIci using a color
monitor and the internal video port.

By the way, I think its a great product.  I can't wait to see their
version running on the new NeXT cubes/slabs.

Michael Vidlak
Knowledge Systems Research Center
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX  77845-3112

      ---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (10/09/90)

In article <32722@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

>What SoftPC does:

>*FULLY* emulate IBM PC/XT with the following features:
>            Supposedly, it is also possible to run MS-Windows

Not quite true.  You can run Windows 2.x, but not Windows 3.0.
Don't ask me why, but it just won't work.  Even with the AT version of
SoftPC.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Greetings, Royal Ugly Dudes!

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (10/09/90)

>>What SoftPC does:
>

>....[telecomm with a modem] appears to be limited to 1200 baud....

not true, (sorry, I spoke too soon) SoftPC works fine with Procomm2.43
at 2400 baud.  And thanks to the people who have sent PC PD/shareware
in attempts to crash the emulator.
Bill Johnston
(johnston@ccm.udel.edu)

hlt@iapic (Harold L. Trammel) (10/10/90)

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

>Mac System requirements:  Mac II, IIx, IIcx, IIci, SE/30, or '030 accel. SE)
>XT version requires 2meg Mac to run in Finder; XT uses 1730K in Multifinder.
>AT version requires 3meg in Finder; and a minimum of 3000K in Multifinder.
>With larger Multifinder partitions, the AT can use up to 4meg of LIM memory.

>Bill Johnston; 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949
>(johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

The biggest difficulty I had with SoftPC was being willing to
commit the 12mb of hard disk space to setting up a 10 mb PC.  Yes
it is cheaper than buying a PC, but users should consider getting
as large a hard drive as they can afford and be willing to
allocate a substantial portion to SoftPC.  I was looking at
getting a Syquest box and having one cartridge set up as a SoftPC
system.

Thankfully I don't have the need for the PC that I did at the time
so my poor CX has all of its disk back.

Harold L. Trammel	hlt@iapic.cvm.uiuc.edu
IAPIC-CVM
Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (10/11/90)

From article <1990Oct10.151030.8497@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by hlt@iapic (Harold L. Trammel):
> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

> Thankfully I don't have the need for the PC that I did at the time
> so my poor CX has all of its disk back.

Do you still have your version of SoftPC?  Are you willing to part with it??

	- Ed Rotberg -
	weitek!dms!rotberg[@dms.UUCP]