[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Surely a IIFX blows an Amiga 3000 away, right?

252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (10/11/90)

A friend of mine recently was bragging that an A3000/25/50 running the
AMAX-II mac plus emulator was leaving various Mac II's in the dust.
They were running Speedometer 2.5 and came up with following results:

KWhets/sec: 882.4 (using FPU) 39.4 (not using FPU)
Dhrys/sec:  2871 FPU, 2717 not
Sieve:      3.70 sec FPU, 3.83 sec
Savage err:  7.988e-10, 2.297e-11
Savage time: 8.52 sec FPU, 71.43 sec
Savage iterations: 25000 FPU, 5000

CPU test: 6.40 (no FPU)
Math:     95.27 FPU, 5.24
Performance:  5.42 (no FPU)

Of course he was comparing it to relatively slow Mac II's like the cx.
Would someone with a IIFX screamer post some results so I can show my
haughty amiga friend up?  If someone has a souped up mac that would be
faster than an fx,  post 'em.  Hmm, why not make this the world's
fastest 680x0 machine contest?

 * Mike Gleason                                      252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu
 * "Don't you f*ckin' look at me!" -- D. Hopper       cosc006@unlcdc2.unl.edu

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.222343.8737@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
>A friend of mine recently was bragging that an A3000/25/50 running the
>AMAX-II mac plus emulator was leaving various Mac II's in the dust.
>They were running Speedometer 2.5 and came up with following results:
>
>KWhets/sec: 882.4 (using FPU) 39.4 (not using FPU)
>Dhrys/sec:  2871 FPU, 2717 not
>Sieve:      3.70 sec FPU, 3.83 sec
>Savage err:  7.988e-10, 2.297e-11
>Savage time: 8.52 sec FPU, 71.43 sec
>Savage iterations: 25000 FPU, 5000
>
>CPU test: 6.40 (no FPU)
>Math:     95.27 FPU, 5.24
>Performance:  5.42 (no FPU)

I'd be curious to see how various Macs performed.

>Of course he was comparing it to relatively slow Mac II's like the cx.
>Would someone with a IIFX screamer post some results so I can show my
>haughty amiga friend up?  If someone has a souped up mac that would be

You might end up looking a little silly when you realize that you
could have THREE complete A3000/50/25mhz machines (with COLOR monitors)
for the price of one IIfx color system.

>faster than an fx,  post 'em.  Hmm, why not make this the world's
>fastest 680x0 machine contest?

I'm sure the winner wouldn't be a Mac or an Amiga.  Probably, one of
the screamer workstations would win.

>_____________________________________________________________________________
> * Mike Gleason                                      252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu
> * "Don't you f*ckin' look at me!" -- D. Hopper       cosc006@unlcdc2.unl.edu
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK, I won't! :-)

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.222343.8737@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
>  Hmm, why not make this the world's
>fastest 680x0 machine contest?

    I refer you to article 47427@mcdchg.mcd.mot.com in the comp.newprod
group, dated today: The MYRIAS SPS-3, using 32 68040's, running at 50Mhz.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.222343.8737@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
>A friend of mine recently was bragging that an A3000/25/50 running the
>AMAX-II mac plus emulator was leaving various Mac II's in the dust.
>They were running Speedometer 2.5 and came up with following results:
>
>KWhets/sec: 882.4 (using FPU) 39.4 (not using FPU)
>Dhrys/sec:  2871 FPU, 2717 not
>Sieve:      3.70 sec FPU, 3.83 sec
>Savage err:  7.988e-10, 2.297e-11
>Savage time: 8.52 sec FPU, 71.43 sec
>Savage iterations: 25000 FPU, 5000
>
>CPU test: 6.40 (no FPU)
>Math:     95.27 FPU, 5.24
>Performance:  5.42 (no FPU)
>
>Of course he was comparing it to relatively slow Mac II's like the cx.
>Would someone with a IIFX screamer post some results so I can show my
>haughty amiga friend up?  If someone has a souped up mac that would be
>faster than an fx,  post 'em.  Hmm, why not make this the world's
>fastest 680x0 machine contest?

Since when have we Mac users been denegraded into comparing MHz, MIPs and
megaflops.  What happened to the Macintosh advantage?  Surely given that
a machine such as powerful as the Amiga 3000 described wouldn't change you
from a Mac to Amiga user... :)

On the other hand, I'm dying to find out too, so please do us all a favour.
Afterall, how can you push the Mac's advantages when you don't know the
competition's?  No matter what tho', nothing's going to change my liking
for the Mac, nothing that is, unless it's black...

Regards,
Norton Chia
Micro Support
(carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU)

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct10.222343.8737@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
>A friend of mine recently was bragging that an A3000/25/50 running the
>AMAX-II mac plus emulator was leaving various Mac II's in the dust.
Kindly ask this friend of yours to benchmark some color-quickdraw apps, will
you? This setup is STILL equivalent to a mac + with an accelerator -- as far
as Mac functionality is concerned...

Pat
--

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Patrick Hayes                 |  EMail :  Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr  |

252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (10/13/90)

Here are the benchmarks I have received thru the mail for a IIfx. To give
you an idea how heinously fast the beast is, I'll put the results of my
humdrum Mac+ next to it:

             IIfx:                          Mac+:
KWhets/sec:  202.0 (1500.0 with FPU)        5.8
Dhrys/sec:   11111.1                        768.0

CPU Test:    12.2                           0.85
Math Test:   26.8 (with FPU, off scale!)    0.78
Performance: 13.7                           0.80

Sigh...