[comp.sys.mac.wanted] HeapFixer wanted - I'm crashing too often

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (10/29/90)

In an attempt to follow-up to a thread in c.s.m.system: I'm after a copy
of heap-fixer (I think).

I've just installed 6.0.7 on my SE/30, and I'm now running the SUM-II
tools (as of last week). I seem to be having some out-of-memory problems.
MIDI Manager can't open it's serial driver properly. I've had FASTBACK
freeze on me. The Finder has complained about "not enough memory: please
drag the files in several groups" for a single file.

From what I remember, there's some kind of tiny limit in the System
heap (or is it the stack?), and given all the INIT's and stuff I'm
running, I think I'm filling it up. Example: putting VirusDetective 4.0.3
(which is a *big* DA) into my System file causes more problems, even
if I don't run the DA.

I think I'm looking for Heap Fixer, which I believe is a utility which
increases the appropriate magic number in the system. I had a quick
look over the main FTP archives, but couldn't find it. Does anybody
have it (or a pointer to it)?

w.r.t. recent articles in c.s.m.system: it's possible (I suppose) that
6.0.7 is sufficiently bigger than earlier systems that folks with lots
of INIT's are hitting this limit. I was hitting it with just ONE init
(SUM Partition) and a large system file, I think.

Thanks in advance... if someone can get a copy of this utility to me, I'll
try it out and report back...

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

scott@scotty (Scott Howard) (10/30/90)

Heapfixer is given by CE Software as a reward for buying their products.
It is NOT public domain, nor is it freely distributable.
If you want it, invest in one of their wonderful prodcucts such as
Quickeys, Disktop, Alarming Events, Amazing Paint, or Calendar Maker.

            Hope this helps,
                         -Scott

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (10/31/90)

In article <1092@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:
>In an attempt to follow-up to a thread in c.s.m.system: I'm after a copy
>of heap-fixer (I think).

Heapfixer is not freely distributable, for some reason. It is copyrighted
and comes with some commercial products. It is also available from
Compuserve, but still with distribution restrictions.

However, there is a new INIT/cdev called Heaptool 1.2 out on the
Shareware market, which works differently than Heapfixer. Heapfixer
alters the boot blocks to set an absolute heap size.

Heaptool hangs around during the INIT startup, expands the heap to
a configurable minimum free then exits.

>I've just installed 6.0.7 on my SE/30, and I'm now running the SUM-II
>tools (as of last week). I seem to be having some out-of-memory problems.
>MIDI Manager can't open it's serial driver properly. I've had FASTBACK
>freeze on me. The Finder has complained about "not enough memory: please
>drag the files in several groups" for a single file.

The Finder problem can probably be solved by secting the Finder icon
in your system folder and doing Get Info on it (clover-i). Then double
the memory allocation in the Get Info dialog.

At any rate I have Heaptool.1.2.hqx a self-extracting Compactor
archive of Heaptool and it's Doc available on request.

jim

P.S.
-rw-rw-r--  1 jimb     staff       52714 Oct 29 23:45 Heaptool.1.2.Hqx
So I didn't want to send it across the Atlantic unsolicited.
--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

macferrin@slsvax.harvard.edu (Kurtis MacFerrin) (10/31/90)

In article <1092@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk>, nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes...
>In an attempt to follow-up to a thread in c.s.m.system: I'm after a copy
>of heap-fixer (I think).
>Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
>		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

I'd like a copy too. Maybe someone could send it to sumex-aim or to
comp.binaries.mac?

Thanks.

Kurtis MacFerrin	macferrin@slsvax.harvard.edu

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct29.194137.10960@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scott@scotty (Scott Howard) writes:

>Heapfixer is given by CE Software as a reward for buying their products.
>It is NOT public domain, nor is it freely distributable.
>If you want it, invest in one of their wonderful prodcucts such as
>Quickeys, Disktop, Alarming Events, Amazing Paint, or Calendar Maker.
>
>            Hope this helps,
>                         -Scott

Actually, I believe the newest version is freely distributable
and can be found on Compuserve as well as your local area BBS.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.160019.16776@silvlis.com>, jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes:
> Heapfixer is not freely distributable, for some reason. It is copyrighted
> and comes with some commercial products. It is also available from
> Compuserve, but still with distribution restrictions.

Thanks. I've now been told what numbers to change with the boot block
editor I got with SUM II, so I'll give that a spin and see what happens.

> The Finder problem can probably be solved by secting the Finder icon
> in your system folder and doing Get Info on it (clover-i). Then double
> the memory allocation in the Get Info dialog.

I turned it up from 160 to 200. I'll give it a little more if the problem
persists, but I suspect the System Heap's the problem.

--

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct29.194137.10960@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scott@scotty (Scott Howard) writes:

>Heapfixer is given by CE Software as a reward for buying their products.
>It is NOT public domain, nor is it freely distributable.

Hey, I'm kinda confused on this one.

Yes, I've seen the version that they distribute with their products. It has a
copyright notice in the about box.

HOWEVER!

Recently, I received a new hard drive from Alliance Peripheral Systems that
came with a 12Mbyte stuffit archive of freeware/shareware/etc. software in it
supposedly taken from the BMUG archives. In this archive I discovered
(surprise, surpise :-) a copy of Heapfixer. Same name, same company, same icon.
Same about box ALMOST. The company name was there but no notice about limited
distribution.

Now I know how easy doing this would be with a copy of resedit, but isn't the
archives at BMUG moderated? It seems very odd that such a thing might happen.
But then again, do companies sometimes allow products like this be distributed
through special areas (kinda like the old Adobe font bitmap issues. They are
free but only certain places are allowed to distribute them).

If anyone knows anything about this, I'd be interested in finding out whether
this copy that I have has been bootlegged somewhere along the line or in fact
is a specially authorized version distributed by CE.

(Hmm.., maybe there was some liturature about this that got missed when APS put
the archive together)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

scott@scotty (Scott Howard) (11/02/90)

While I can't speak for anyone at BMUG, there is now an INIT/cdev available
named HeapTool (v. 1.2) that will do the trick. (Shareware, modest price.)

carl@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Carl Baltrunas) (11/04/90)

There's been talk about patching the boot blocks and fixing the Heap after
installing new system software.  Am I 'coming from left field' because I think
that Apple should distribute some utility with their system to take care of
these problems?  Come on now... sure, I can get the right info, the right
product, etc and do this myself, but how many Mac users (read my lips, USERS)
that are not systems people would know how to do this?

You don't have to be a wizard to install tons of inits and cdevs and programs
(sic applications) on your system.  It sounds like upgrading to 6.0.7 will
require a lot of reworking the heap, the sounds, hypercard 2.0 (read more $$)
and more.

Shouldn't Apple be providing for it's users?

-Carl

I have a Mac IIx, 8M/160M HiRes 13" lots of sounds and PD software.  It seems
like I should wait awhile until the dust settles before I upgrade to 6.0.7?

I'd appreciate comments, but please no flame wars.

--
Carl A Baltrunas 408/922-6206|SMTP:carl@doctor.TYMNET.COM,carl@tymix.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet (Network Services) |UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!doctor!carl

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov1.221403.5344@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scott@scotty (Scott Howard) writes:

>While I can't speak for anyone at BMUG, there is now an INIT/cdev available
>named HeapTool (v. 1.2) that will do the trick. (Shareware, modest price.)

Earlier in this thread I posted that I had Heaptool.1.2 available.
I received over 15 requests. Since the bounces are now outnumbering
the successes, I've sent Heaptool along to Sumex.

jim

P.S. I'm not the author, just a satified user.
--