[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Wanted: Email, Mac to Unix and back

kfh@cbnews.att.com (kevin.hennessy) (11/20/90)

  Is there any way to set up a Mac to receive/send email from/to a UNIX host?

  I heard that a PD(?) program called uutomac may help.  Would like to
use a serial port connection.

  Off the shelf products (like MS-Mail) don't seem to support non AppleTalk
connections without separate gateways (read more hardware/software/money).
Could be wrong, but this is my initial impression.

Kevin
att!cblph!kfh

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.153935.16282@cbnews.att.com> kfh@cbnews.att.com (kevin.hennessy) writes:

>  Is there any way to set up a Mac to receive/send email from/to a UNIX host?

I use a Mac with Red Ryder 10.3 connected to an HP360 workstation via
one of the serial ports and that is how I send and receive mail,
e-mail etc. I am actually connected to a VAX cluster as well (via the
other serial port) and I have auto logon procedures written for all of
my connections. Basically, the Mac works as a VT100 terminal, allowing
me to use the workstation as a host, so I can run rn, Emacs etc., as
well as doing file transfers both directions.
I believe that Freesoft, who wrote Red Ryder, have superceded it with
White Knight, which is apparently even better. The prices I have seen
are generally under $100 (discount mail-order) and I would say the
package would do all you want, and more. You do, of course, need an
account on the UNIX host and access to a serial port on it.

Hope this helps!

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (11/22/90)

In article <5413@testeng1.misemi> stanfiel@testeng1.UUCP () writes:
>In article <1990Nov20.153935.16282@cbnews.att.com> kfh@cbnews.att.com (kevin.hennessy) writes:
>>  Is there any way to set up a Mac to receive/send email from/to a UNIX host?
>I use a Mac with Red Ryder 10.3...
>Basically, the Mac works as a VT100 terminal, allowing
>me to use the workstation as a host, so I can run rn, Emacs etc.,

For a mail application that runs on your Mac but uses SMTP protocols
to get mail from/send mail through a UNIX post office, try MacMH,
available from Stanford Networking.  For a Mac-based server with a
UNIX gateway, what you want is either Microsoft Mail, with
GatorMail-M, or QuickMail with GatorMail-Q (GatorMail is available
from Cayman in Cambridge, MA).

	== Daniel ==

---------------------------
D. Daniel Sternbergh
ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu

meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (11/24/90)

>>In article <1990Nov20.153935.16282@cbnews.att.com> kfh@cbnews.att.com (kevin.hennessy) writes:
>>>  Is there any way to set up a Mac to receive/send email from/to a UNIX host?

It all depends on how you are connected. The simplest case is where
you are connected directly through an ethernet card or an appletalk
bridge (such as Kinetics FastPath or Cayman Gatorbox). For these
setups there are two routes: Use a popclient program working with some
popserver. That will use the server as a post office, and the mac will
periodically (automatically or manually) go fetch any mail. My
favorite is Eudora, which is freeware by anonymous ftp from
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, the mac/eudora directory. The simplest way to get a
popserver up is to install popper (anon. ftp from lilac.berkeley.edu)
onto a unix box.

Another option is to use MacPost, an SMTP based system from the
University of Lund, in Sweden. It seems to function quite well, but I
prefer the popbased system.

If you are connected by modem/serial line then your choices are more
limited. The two I can think o offhand are gnuucp (uucp for the mac),
and (again) eudora. The latter requires the Apple Communications Toolbox
from APDA.

Eudora has a 1.2 version in alpha testing, and even the 1.1 version
blows all other popbased systems I have seen out of the water.

Good luck.

Sigurd Meldal

--
Hard mail: