[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Desktop

kiberkli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Berkling) (12/02/90)

Hi, does anyone know of an INIT that displays a desktop pikture
that comes from a volume that is not the systemfolder.
In other words I have lab macs which boot of a locked disk and load
a RAM disk. I'd like to display a desktop that can be updated and
therefore the file has to be on a server.
Even an INIT that does desktops will be fine, only I have to able to
chage the path (Backdrop does not work here) to find the right file.

Thanks for your help.
I can be reched at      kiberkli@rodan.acs.syr.edu       or
                        kiberkli@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec1.205221.1371@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, kiberkli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Berkling) writes:

> Hi, does anyone know of an INIT that displays a desktop pikture
> that comes from a volume that is not the systemfolder.
> In other words I have lab macs which boot of a locked disk and load
> a RAM disk. I'd like to display a desktop that can be updated and
> therefore the file has to be on a server.
> Even an INIT that does desktops will be fine, only I have to able to
> chage the path (Backdrop does not work here) to find the right file.

I *think* DeskPicture is able to get it's picture file off an AppleShare
server *IF* the AppleShare server is automounted.

I know Public Folder can make available a folder on an AppleShare
server if it is automounted and the the author of DeskPicture (Clay
Mackel) and I shared a few lines of code for getting at other volumes
at startup time.

-- michael, author of Public Folder & friend of the author of DeskPicture

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554