[comp.sys.mac.wanted] HELP! How do I get PrintMonitor to work on IINT?

omd@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Eric P. Scholz) (12/06/90)

Hi...I just got my new LaserWriter IINT and I can't get PrintMonitor to work.
I'm using System 6.0.7 on a Mac IIx with MultiFinder 6.1b9.  The system was
originally installed without PrintMonitor, but I thought if I drag it in now,
it would work anyhow.  Even though it's in there, Background Printing doesn't
light up in the Chooser.

Also, does anyone recommend a spooler as clean/cleaner than Apple's Print
Monitor for the LaserWriter?

Final question...is it bad to turn the LaserWriter on and off regularly, say,
after each print?  Like a hard drive, for example, I heard it wasn't good for
the spin-up motor if one continually turned it on and off as it would wear it
down faster than say, leaving the hard drive constantly powered on.

Thanks!

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (12/08/90)

In article <DSA^2Y@rpi.edu> omd@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Eric P. Scholz) writes:
>Hi...I just got my new LaserWriter IINT and I can't get PrintMonitor to work.
>I'm using System 6.0.7 on a Mac IIx with MultiFinder 6.1b9.  The system was
>originally installed without PrintMonitor, but I thought if I drag it in now,
>it would work anyhow.

     PrintMonitor is a faceless background task; in addition to installing
PrintMonitor in the System Folder, uou have to put Backgrounder there as well.
You should find Backgrounder on whichever system disk it is that has
MultiFinder.
     I've run into problems with PrintMonitor not starting jobs and
occasionally crashing the system, though.  I'd recommend SuperLaserSpool.
--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (12/10/90)

In article <12605@milton.u.washington.edu>
phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) writes:
>      PrintMonitor is a faceless background task; in addition to
installing
> PrintMonitor in the System Folder, uou have to put Backgrounder there as
well.

Small correction:  Backgrounder is a faceless background task, whose
function is to launch PrintMonitor when there is a spooled print job to be
printed.  PrintMonitor does have a user interface, though you usually
don't see it.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/11/90)

In article <11477@goofy.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:

>Small correction:  Backgrounder is a faceless background task, whose
>function is to launch PrintMonitor when there is a spooled print job to be
>printed.  PrintMonitor does have a user interface, though you usually
>don't see it.

Oh, I don't know about that.. I see it FAR more often than I want to. :-)

                 Your LaserWriter II NT has choked
                 again. Would you like to:

                 O  Simplify your document
                 O  Scream and kick it
                 0  Have a margarita and forget the whole thing

(Note to the humor-impaired: I actually love my Laserwriter.)

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (12/12/90)

In article <DSA^2Y@rpi.edu> omd@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Eric P. Scholz) writes:
> The system was
> originally installed without PrintMonitor, but I thought if I drag it in
now,
> it would work anyhow.  Even though it's in there, Background Printing
doesn't
> light up in the Chooser.

I think you need to also drag "Backgrounder" to the System Folder to make
background work. I'm not sure about this, because I use SuperLaserSpool.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard