[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Unix lines <-> Mac paragraphs converter?

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (12/21/90)

I'm looking for Mac software, preferably free or shareware, that will

- Take a text file imported from Unix and remove the line breaks
between lines in a paragraph. I know how to filter files like this
on the Unix side, but sometimes you get a README or other doc file
as part of a BinHex and it was obviously not done on a Mac. For these
files, it would be much more convenient to be able to massage them
on the Mac instead of having to upload to Unix.

- Do the inverse (sort of); i.e., take a MacWrite or MS-Word doc
saved as TEXT-only, and break up the lines within each paragraph
so that vi won't choke (vi doesn't like lines with more than 256
characters in them).

Recommendations?
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (12/21/90)

In article <761@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
#>I'm looking for Mac software, preferably free or shareware, that will
#>
#>- Take a text file imported from Unix and remove the line breaks
#>between lines in a paragraph. I know how to filter files like this
#>on the Unix side, but sometimes you get a README or other doc file
#>as part of a BinHex and it was obviously not done on a Mac. For these
#>files, it would be much more convenient to be able to massage them
#>on the Mac instead of having to upload to Unix.
#>
#>- Do the inverse (sort of); i.e., take a MacWrite or MS-Word doc
#>saved as TEXT-only, and break up the lines within each paragraph
#>so that vi won't choke (vi doesn't like lines with more than 256
#>characters in them).
#>
#>Recommendations?
#>--
#>Mike Khaw
#>ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043
#>Domain=khaw@parcplace.com, UUCP=...!{uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!khaw

WriteNow has this facility built in. It's not free, but
it's the best I've seen.

Steve Goldfield

ramaley@csli.Stanford.EDU (Alan Ramaley) (12/21/90)

In <1990Dec21.003840.13327@agate.berkeley.edu> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:

>In article <761@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
>#>I'm looking for Mac software, preferably free or shareware, that will
>#>
>#>- Take a text file imported from Unix and remove the line breaks
>#>between lines in a paragraph...

Hmm.  I don't know of any really good way to do this.  In Microsoft Word 4.0 you can do a global "replace <return> with nothing", and that will kill all the returns.  Better a drastic solution than none at all, sez I.

>#>- Do the inverse (sort of); i.e., take a MacWrite or MS-Word doc
>#>saved as TEXT-only, and break up the lines within each paragraph
>#>so that vi won't choke (vi doesn't like lines with more than 256
>#>characters in them).

>WriteNow has this facility built in. It's not free, but
>it's the best I've seen.

>Steve Goldfield

You can do the same in Microsoft Word 4.0.  When you do your "save
as...", click on the options box (or maybe formats); you can specify
"text with line breaks", which chunks your text into lines exactly as
you've formatted it.

--Alan

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (12/21/90)

In article <761@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
|I'm looking for Mac software, preferably free or shareware, that will

|- Take a text file imported from Unix and remove the line breaks
|between lines in a paragraph.

McSink will do this.

|- Do the inverse (sort of); i.e., take a MacWrite or MS-Word doc
|saved as TEXT-only, and break up the lines within each paragraph
|so that vi won't choke (vi doesn't like lines with more than 256
|characters in them).

McSink will do this also.  So will many word-processors.  With Microsoft
Works, for example, if you hold down the Option key while selecting
File -> Save As... [Text option checked], Works will put a CR at the end
of each line instead of just at the end of each paragraph.  Don't know
about other WP's

|Recommendations?

Yeah, McSink 6.5/7.0 or the latest commercial version, "Vantage."
The next line describes what it can't do with a text file:

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (12/22/90)

In article <761@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
> I'm looking for Mac software, preferably free or shareware, that will
>
> - Take a text file imported from Unix and remove the line breaks
> between lines in a paragraph. I know how to filter files like this
> on the Unix side, but sometimes you get a README or other doc file
> as part of a BinHex and it was obviously not done on a Mac. For these
> files, it would be much more convenient to be able to massage them
> on the Mac instead of having to upload to Unix.
>
> - Do the inverse (sort of); i.e., take a MacWrite or MS-Word doc
> saved as TEXT-only, and break up the lines within each paragraph
> so that vi won't choke (vi doesn't like lines with more than 256
> characters in them).

For the second one, there's a DA called miniWRITER can do this.  It's
shareware (cost is all of $12), and the current version is 1.6.  Or at
least *my* version is 1.6, and I think that's current...  :-)

You can do that under the "Modify" option in the miniWRITER menu.  For the
first thing you requested there's another option in the Modify that looks
like it might do what you want (it says "Remove Returns"), but I've never
tried it and I'm not sure it's exactly what you want.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu