[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Mac 128K ROMs ---> questions

rrwood@contact.uucp (roy wood) (01/04/91)

Someone recently posted a request for 128K ROMs to be used with his Atari ST/
Spectre GCR.  This prompts me to ask two questions which I've been curious
about for a while:

1.) Why doesn't litigation-happy Apple sic their lawyers on Gadgets by Small?

2.) Why doesn't anyone talk about how easy it is to duplicate a set of Mac
    ROMs instead of forking out the cash for an official set?  All you need
    do is borrow a friend's ROMs and an EPROM (or EEROM) burner...

I hope this elicits a response from someone official at Apple, or at least
from someone with answers.

-Roy Wood.

gray@diemen.utas.edu.au (Tony Gray) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.012611.23146@contact.uucp>, rrwood@contact.uucp
(roy wood) writes:
> Someone recently posted a request for 128K ROMs to be used with his Atari ST/
> Spectre GCR.  This prompts me to ask two questions which I've been curious
> about for a while:
>
> 1.) Why doesn't litigation-happy Apple sic their lawyers on Gadgets by Small?
>
>2.) Why doesn't anyone talk about how easy it is to duplicate a set of Mac
>    ROMs instead of forking out the cash for an official set?  All you need
>    do is borrow a friend's ROMs and an EPROM (or EEROM) burner...

Re point 1, why should Apple do anything to Gadgets?  Gadgets in no way
encourage the acquisition of Apple's copyrighted software (ROMS or system
software) by any unlawful means (if anything, they actively discourage
it).  Gadgets produce a polished product, that, with the addition of
Apple components can emulate a Macintosh.  Even Apple would have a hard
time getting a judge to believe Gadgets were in the wrong.

Re point 2, sure its easy to duplicate a set of Mac ROMS instead of
forking out for the official set.  No one talks about it for the same
reason no one talks about how they can get drugs - its illegal!  Surely
you must realise that (or are you just looking to generate some network
activity?)

Tony Gray                             AARNET : gray@diemen.cc.utas.edu.au
School of Applied Computing           Phone  : +61 03 260 366
University of Tasmania - Launceston
(was Tasmanian State Institute of Technology - Score : South 1, North 0)