[comp.sys.mac.wanted] ergonomic keyboard...

shull@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Christopher E. Shull) (01/06/91)

Hi!

Some time ago I saw an announcement for an ergonomic keyboard for the
Macintosh.  The goal was to reduce the bent wrist (Carpal Tunnel
Syndrome-causing) position required for touch-typing on a normal
keyboard.  As I recall the prototype was called MacTony, after the
inventor (a guy named Tony), but never seemed to come to market.

Does anybody know if there are any such keyboards available?
-Chris

Christopher E. Shull                    shull@wharton.upenn.edu
Decision Sciences Department            shull@desci.wharton.upenn.edu
The Wharton School                      University of Pennsylvania
3620 Locust Walk                        voice: 215/898-5930
Philadelphia, PA  19104-6366            fax:   215/898-3664
"Damn the torpedoes!  Full speed ahead!"  Admiral Farragut, USN, 1801-1870

simoni@strat.Stanford.EDU (Richard Simoni) (01/06/91)

In article <35306@netnews.upenn.edu>, shull@desci.wharton.upenn.edu
(Christopher E. Shull) writes:
> Some time ago I saw an announcement for an ergonomic keyboard for the
> Macintosh.  The goal was to reduce the bent wrist (Carpal Tunnel
> Syndrome-causing) position required for touch-typing on a normal
> keyboard.  As I recall the prototype was called MacTony, after the
> inventor (a guy named Tony), but never seemed to come to market.

Tony brought his keyboard here a few months ago for a demonstration.  It is
a standard QWERTY layout, but splits down the middle.  You can then tilt up
either side so that the left keys face the left side of the keyboard, and
the right keys the right side.  I'd say a majority of the touch typists at
the demo that tried it liked it.

Tony's a bit of a character, and gives a good presentation.  He claims to
have been working on his keyboard more-or-less full-time since 1984 (I
think).  He has a patent on it.  It is not yet in production, because he
hasn't found a company who's willing to build it on his terms, which include
manufacturing in the U.S.

He alluded briefly to some keyboard available for the Mac that he feels is
in violation of part of his patent.  Perhaps this would be an option for the
time being until The Tony becomes available.

Rich Simoni