[comp.sys.mac.wanted] was Mac IIsi

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.013347.23522@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> mmj@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Mostafa M. Jafari) writes:

>Ok, let's be fair to these guys.  I called our universities bookstore and asked
>for current prices.  Here it is:
>
>Mac IIsi with 2 Meg RAM and 40 Meg hard disk    $2789
>Extended keyboard                               $ 185
>
>For a total of $ 2974 plus 5.75% TAX = $ 3145.01

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but technically speaking I think
you are obligated to collect sales tax when you sell something like this (just
like a car).  With a car, it's easy to trace things like that, but with a
computer it isn't since there's no license or registration, so it isn't likely
you'll get caught....

There are substantial price differences between schools, evidently - I'd
say your bookstore is hosing you.  Here we pay:

Mac IIsi with 2MB RAM and 40 MB disk  $2429
Apple Extended keyboard               $ 153

Anyway I think the lesson here is that you should plan on taking a big loss
when you sell a computer.  Just a like a new car, it depreciates dramatically
the minute it leaves the dealer - "like new" is *not* the same as "new".

weverka@boulder.colorado.edu (Robert T. Weverka) (01/09/91)

HEPP price
    IIsi  $2186
 ext KB   $ 137