[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Looking for "cron" for the mac

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (01/18/91)

I realize that Hypercard could do it, but is there a utility out
there to do it?  I haven't seen or heard of one, but I suspect that
this feature is hidden in some other program...  Commercial or
otherwise is fine (if it costs too much, I'll find something else
or break down and write my own...)

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend <- Lottery winner #316 Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
      Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

jim@wvmtrcs.uucp (Jim Prouty) (01/18/91)

In <5461@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:

> I realize that Hypercard could do it, but is there a utility out
> there to do it?  I haven't seen or heard of one, but I suspect that
> this feature is hidden in some other program...  Commercial or
> otherwise is fine (if it costs too much, I'll find something else
> or break down and write my own...)

I use QuicKeys 2.0.1 to do this.  It has a timer option which can invoke any sequence of
keys, mouseclicks, launch applications, documents, etc at any number of specified times.

I use it with uupc 2.1 to call up my host computer to get news and mail.
QuicKeys is useful for other things, too: assign a single key to accomplish some
repetitive task for you, such as opening the control panel to your favorite cdev
without wading through all the other cdevs.

I recommend QuicKeys, even if you find another cron replacement.
QuicKeys is available from most major mail order firms.

(Why doesn't the shareware CClock utility tie its alarm
capabilities to its application launching capabilities?.)

--
Jim Prouty "A man is not the sum of his possessions"
WaveMetrics