[comp.sys.mac.wanted] AUX 2.0 and MPW 3.0

patten@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Michael Patten) (01/25/91)

Just a question on costs.

I have MPW 3.0 with C++, SADE, etc., and am not very happy with it.
I'm not really a "developer", so I'm not exploiting MPW's abilities
(nor do I want to).  What I really could use on my machine is AUX 2.0,
with a good FORTRAN compiler (for scientific programming).  I use
Unix boxes where I work, so I'm more accustomed to developing
software in this environment.

I have an SE/30, 5 Megs of RAM, a 14" color monitor.  Those with
experience in this area could do me a big favor by telling me what
it took in hardware and money to get set up with AUX on an SE/30.
Or is this even possible (i.e. 32 bit dirty ROMs a barrier?)

E-mail is cool.  If there's interest, I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks,

Brian Patten

patten@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu                         Future site of
Institute for Astronomy                               a really clever
University of Hawaii at Manoa                         .sig quote ;-)

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (01/25/91)

patten@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Michael Patten) writes:
>I have an SE/30, 5 Megs of RAM, a 14" color monitor.  Those with
>experience in this area could do me a big favor by telling me what
>it took in hardware and money to get set up with AUX on an SE/30.
>Or is this even possible (i.e. 32 bit dirty ROMs a barrier?)

I run A/UX 2.0 on an SE/30.  2.0 won't support the color monitor; 2.0.1
will.  2.0.1 is supposed to ship in the next couple of months (sorry, I
don't have an exact time; I haven't been following the shipping
schedule.)  2.0.1 is an upgrade mostly for IIsi support, but one of the
other new features is support for multiple monitors.

The only (other) hardware you need is an 80Mb hard disk minimum.
You'll like installing the system much more if you get the CD-ROM
version than the floppy version.  The SE/30 runs fine.  And, of course,
A/UX (like any Unix system) wants more memory than you currently have,
no matter how much memory you currently have.  :-)

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

austin@spies.sf-bay.org (Glenn Austin) (01/26/91)

In article <48460@apple.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>The only (other) hardware you need is an 80Mb hard disk minimum.
>You'll like installing the system much more if you get the CD-ROM
>version than the floppy version.  The SE/30 runs fine.  And, of course,
>A/UX (like any Unix system) wants more memory than you currently have,
>no matter how much memory you currently have.  :-)

Just as it wants more disk space than you currently have... :-)

Seriously, I wouldn't run A/UX on a machine with less than a 100Mb drive.
80Mb is seriouly limiting, especially if you have a mail and/or news feed.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
|   Macintosh Wizard            |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |