[comp.sys.mac.wanted] 1988 toyota for sale

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (01/28/91)

how many MIPS ?

:-)

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

timv@ccad.uiowa.edu (Timothy VanFosson) (01/28/91)

From article <36436@netnews.upenn.edu>, by jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ):

> how many MIPS ?
>
> :-)

Well, if we estimate the top speed of a 1988 Toyota at approximately
120 MPH then we would expect it to achieve approximately 0.0021 MIPS
(millions of inches per second).  It is interesting to note that
a Cray Y-MP (travelling in a semi with a top speed of approximately
100 MPH) can only achieve 0.0018 MIPS.  Not only is the Toyota faster
and a much better price/performance buy, but most assuredly the
maintenance costs are lower.

These figures should not be considered definitive as they do not reflect
actual experience.  I own an '85 Volkswagen Jetta and my portable
Y-MP won't be ready until next week. ;-)
--
Timothy VanFosson                   E-mail   : timv@ccad.uiowa.edu
Senior Systems Analyst              US Mail  : CAD-Research

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan28.151635.13026@ccad.uiowa.edu> timv@ccad.uiowa.edu (Timothy VanFosson) writes:
> Well, if we estimate the top speed of a 1988 Toyota at approximately
> 120 MPH then we would expect it to achieve approximately 0.0021 MIPS
> (millions of inches per second).

For comparison, an IBM PS/2 dropped out a 13th story window will achieve no
more than about 0.0013 MIPS.  Note that this entails a modification that will
void the warranty.

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu