[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Mac Unix program

ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu (Bo Jackson) (01/31/91)

	Wondering if there is a Unix system for the mac, such as xenix or
something......?

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (02/01/91)

In article <15531@milton.u.washington.edu> ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu (Bo Jackson) writes:
>	Wondering if there is a Unix system for the mac, such as xenix or
>something......?

Sure.  It's from Apple, it's called AU/X, it's in Version 2.0, and it's gotten
excellent reviews in most of the magazines in the past few months.  They say
it has an excellent Mac-like GUI (but you can use a command line too), and
you can run Mac OS programs under Multifinder simultaneously on the same
desktop.  I've never used it myself.

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

lakeman@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Lakeman) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.151520.23138@rodan.acs.syr.edu> rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:
>In article <15531@milton.u.washington.edu> ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu (Bo Jackson) writes:
>>	Wondering if there is a Unix system for the mac, such as xenix or
>>something......?

There is also Minix for the Mac, I believe it's $125-$150.

   |\/\/\/\/|
   |        |        "She's married, man!"
   |        |
   |    (o o)       /
   c        _)     /                           Brian Lakeman
   /______\

n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) (02/02/91)

In article <7880@plains.NoDak.edu> lakeman@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Lakeman) writes:
>In article <1991Feb1.151520.23138@rodan.acs.syr.edu> rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:
>>In article <15531@milton.u.washington.edu> ephrem@hardy.u.washington.edu (Bo Jackson) writes:
>>>	Wondering if there is a Unix system for the mac, such as xenix or
>>>something......?
>>
>There is also Minix for the Mac, I believe it's $125-$150.

First, MINIX is $169, available from Prentice-Hall.

Second, MINIX is for people interested in learning to design and code
operating systems -- MINIX is a replica of V7 UNIX.  MINIX runs as a normal
application; MINIX programs run under this application. (The OS kernel is
the application, and provides a proper UNIX 'environment').

I've had MINIX since November;  it is not usable for everyday type tasks --
it's just too slow for that.  MINIX is for learning OS design and implemen-
tation.  See the comp.os.minix newsgroup.

On the other hand, the information I received from Tenon made the
MachTen system very attractive at it's intro $495 tag.  Normal list price
for MachTen is $595 (I'm pretty sure) and it's being tested now.  There
is also something called MacIdris from WhiteSmiths.

Please don't ask me for any other info; all I know about MacIdris and MachTen
is above.

Hope this helps someone...
             | Brent P. Burton      | n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu   |
             | Texas A&M University | Computer Science/Physics |