[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Good Finance Program Wanted

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (02/05/91)

In article <91034.221831SC0FBUSW@MIAMIU.BITNET> SC0FBUSW@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
>Can anyone (or two, or three..) recommend a good personal finance program
>that is similar (but better) than the current version of Quicken?  The check-
>writing and expense categories are great, but I also need something that
>supports stocks and bonds.

There really is only about 3 programs like this currently.

   MacMoney - Solid program, excellant support. Breaks its database into
              many smaller files (good or bad depending on how you view it)
              Main complaints seem to center around inflexable reports.

   Dollars and Sense - Very flexable program with a bad history of bugs, and
              weak support. Many users (myself included) insisted on staying
              with it even with the problems it had. A new version has just
              been released a ways back (v5.0) and the company is under a new
              organization. Reports are that all the serious database bugs have
              been fixed.

   Managing your money - most expensive and has a weak mac interface. contains
              features not used by a lot of people (eg. how to save for sending
              your son to collage). Some support problems have been reported.
              Some of the "special features" (such as stock tracking) can be
               mimiced in MM or D&S.

My humble opinion. MYM is overkill for what you want and too expensive when
compare to the first two. MacMoney is your choice if you just want solid
support and a product that you don't have to worry too much about. D&S (my
choice) still seems to have the most "options" to use due to its "generic"
nature. If you want to try all kinds of different setups, it seems to be the
easiest to work with.

All the above is just a condensing of all the opinions and information that I
have collected over the last 2 years and actually using these programs.

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM