[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Will pay $200 for Student to Buy Mac

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/31/91)

From article <5606@auspex.auspex.com>, by hitz@auspex.auspex.com (Dave Hitz):
> A friend of mine is looking for a student who can get a good
> educational discount to by him a Mac.  (I mean, he'll pay for it, but
> the student has to buy it for the discount to work.)
>
> And he'll also pay the student $200 (or anyone who has access to the
> educational discount) $200 for their trouble.

This may be illegal at most educational institutions.  Here you must
sign a statement that you are buying the machine for your own use.
I presume the intent of the statement is to discourage exactly the sort
of thing your friend proposes.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (01/31/91)

In article <3866@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <5606@auspex.auspex.com>, by hitz@auspex.auspex.com (Dave Hitz):
>> A friend of mine is looking for a student who can get a good
>> educational discount to by him a Mac.  (I mean, he'll pay for it, but
>> the student has to buy it for the discount to work.)
>>
>> And he'll also pay the student $200 (or anyone who has access to the
>> educational discount) $200 for their trouble.
>
>This may be illegal at most educational institutions.  Here you must

Hiya,

    Paul was not strong enough in his protest. I think what your
friend is proposing is not only illegal but immoral. It is people like
your friend that could cause students to loose their educational
discount.

    Students get good prices for two main reaons. One it is good
advertising for the company that gives the discount. Two, students do
not have much money. Your friend probably works, makes money, has a
car.

<FLAME ON>

    Let the cheap bastard buy his own damn mac. Stop trying to exploit
students. Enough people are doing that already without some cheapskate
trying to add to the problem.

<FLAME OFF>

    On a more positive note. Try calling MacFriends (see any mac mag).
Their prices compare to those we get with an educational discount.

	maurice

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan31.031816.5109@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>, sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:
> >>From article <5606@auspex.auspex.com>, by hitz@auspex.auspex.com (Dave Hitz):
> >> A friend of mine is looking for a student who can get a good
> >> educational discount to by him a Mac.  (I mean, he'll pay for it, but
> >> the student has to buy it for the discount to work.)
> >>
> >> And he'll also pay the student $200 (or anyone who has access to the
> >> educational discount) $200 for their trouble.
> >
> >This may be illegal at most educational institutions.  Here you must
>
> Hiya,
>
>     Paul was not strong enough in his protest. I think what your
> friend is proposing is not only illegal but immoral. It is people like
> your friend that could cause students to loose their educational
> discount.

I am totally amazed that anyone would post this article for someone else.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan31.031816.5109@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:

>    Paul was not strong enough in his protest. I think what your
>friend is proposing is not only illegal but immoral. It is people like
>your friend that could cause students to loose their educational
>discount.

This is true, but it doesn't excuse your next paragraph.

>    Students get good prices for two main reaons. One it is good
>advertising for the company that gives the discount. Two, students do
>not have much money. Your friend probably works, makes money, has a
>car.

Just wait till you get out and have to pay $8,000 or more for a mac,
and I'll see what you say then.  Of course students don't have much
money, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us should have to pay
the OUTRAGEOUS list prices for these machines.  Of course, only a
legal recourse to this problem is permissible, but the argument that:
"someone works, makes money, and has a car ==> he can afford to pay
full price for a mac" just doesn't hold water.

>    On a more positive note. Try calling MacFriends (see any mac mag).
>Their prices compare to those we get with an educational discount.

You should have said this in the first place instead of trying to
use a worthless argument.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar
--

woofy@sgi.com (Wolfchild) (02/03/91)

In article <340@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM> dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP (David C. Barnhart II) writes:
>In article <1991Jan31.031816.5109@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:
>>
>>    Paul was not strong enough in his protest. I think what your
>>friend is proposing is not only illegal but immoral. It is people like
>>your friend that could cause students to loose their educational
>>discount.
>>

>This is true, but it doesn't excuse your next paragraph.

Sure it does.  I seem to recall that Apple requires all members of its
educational consortium to sell at consortium prices only to customers who
sign an agreement.  The agreement states that the purchaser does not intend
to resell the purchased computer equipment.

The original post was a solicitation for some student to defraud Apple
Computer. Seems to me that to do something like this for only $200 is selling
yourself pretty cheap.  Trying to sucker someone into committing fraud for
you for $200 is both immoral and illegal, and indeed, invites more flames
than it has so far received.  My innate desire for poetic justice leads me to
hope that Mark gets a call from a person in a three piece suit who works at a
firm with many names and represents the interests of Apple Computer.

>>    Students get good prices for two main reaons. One it is good
>>advertising for the company that gives the discount. Two, students do
>>not have much money. Your friend probably works, makes money, has a
>>car.
>
>Just wait till you get out and have to pay $8,000 or more for a mac,
>and I'll see what you say then.  Of course students don't have much
>money, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us should have to pay
>the OUTRAGEOUS list prices for these machines.  Of course, only a
>legal recourse to this problem is permissible, but the argument that:
>"someone works, makes money, and has a car ==> he can afford to pay
>full price for a mac" just doesn't hold water.

Are you trying to claim that it is immoral for Apple to set its prices the
way it does, and that the actions of the original poster are therefore
justified? This is the same argument that people use to justify pirating
software.  I won't state absolutely that it's not a valid argument, but I
*will* say that I have never seen anyone make it work.

You don't have to pay any prices, 'OUTRAGEOUS' or otherwise.  This would be
the first time I've heard anyone claim that an Apple dealer used strong arm
tactics on them :-).  Seriously, this is a free market economy.  If 'the rest
of us' don't think the machines are worth the price, we won't buy them, and
the law of supply demand will take its toll.

Andy Fabans

   /\ /\        woofy@yorgi.csd.sgi.com (Wolfchild)
    o o
    \ /     "We were able to expel Ali Baba, but the 40 thieves stayed."
     *                            - Cardinal Jaime Sin on Ferdinand Marcos

sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (02/03/91)

In article <340@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM> dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP (David C. Barnhart II) writes:
>In article <1991Jan31.031816.5109@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:

>This is true, but it doesn't excuse your next paragraph.

[stuff about why students get a break]

>Just wait till you get out and have to pay $8,000 or more for a mac,
>and I'll see what you say then.  Of course students don't have much
>money, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us should have to pay
>the OUTRAGEOUS list prices for these machines.  Of course, only a
>legal recourse to this problem is permissible, but the argument that:
>"someone works, makes money, and has a car ==> he can afford to pay
>full price for a mac" just doesn't hold water.

Talk about putting words into my mouth. My argument was,
1. Students do not make/have much money
2. Some corporations realise this
3. They also realise students will one day make buying decisions
4. Therefore give students a deal now and a) look good, b) sell
products later when the ex-students can afford it.

As to the market price for Macs. I agree, most of them are expensive.
I did not say I agreed with the prices. I also pointed out the you can
get Macs for close to the price I pay.

I also agree I came on strong. But there has been too much advantage
taken of educational pricing by people who are not students or
faculty. We almost lost some of our pricing here thanks to people
trying to break the rules. I wanted to make it clear that student
prices are for students. Obviously I hit home.

	maurice

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      GEnie M.SHARP5

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (02/04/91)

An observation:

It had been suggested that Apple is defrauded by "ineligibles"
who arrange to buy Macs at academic discounts.  I think the real
losers are the VARs and retailers (the ComputerLands and BusinessLands).
In our area, a local ComputerLand does an enormous amount of repair
work on computers purchased by students.  The costs might be defrayed
by repair charges or Apple warranty reimbursements, but the net result
is that a ComputerLand is giving up some of its ability to service
paying customers in order to fulfill it's obligation as an authorized
reseller.  Service people have told me that the non-student academic
Macs just add insult to injury.

I guess this won't dissuade somebody who'll try to give a student
$200 to break a contract -- but there is more at stake than a few
dollars lost in Apple profits.  Why give ComputerLand yet another
reason to push IBM PC's?

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

elm@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (ethan miller) (02/04/91)

%
%Just wait till you get out and have to pay $8,000 or more for a mac,
%and I'll see what you say then.  Of course students don't have much
%money, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us should have to pay
%the OUTRAGEOUS list prices for these machines.  Of course, only a
%legal recourse to this problem is permissible, but the argument that:
%"someone works, makes money, and has a car ==> he can afford to pay
%full price for a mac" just doesn't hold water.

Apple is legally entitled to place conditions on the sale of the
Macintosh.  So is every other company.  Ford could legally sell you
a car with a contract saying that you couldn't resell the car without
Ford's permission.  This is a perfectly legitimate contract.  However,
no one would buy a Ford under those conditions (unless, perhaps, they
got a big discount).  Airlines do this all the time--the ticket is
only valid for the person named on the ticket.  The airline has
the right to confiscate the ticket if you're not the person whose
name is on it.  This holds for *all* tickets, not just special
student tickets.  The airlines rarely enforce this for non-special
rate tickets, but they are allowed to.  In fact, what Apple is doing
is *exactly* analogous to what AmEx/NWAir did for the last two years.
They gave out vouchers for cheap (around $100) tickets anywhere in
the US on Northwest.  Only the student could use them.  Nobody
thought *that* was illegal, so why should what Apple is doing be
illegal?

ethan
--
=================================
ethan miller--cs grad student   elm@sprite.berkeley.edu

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb2.202730.17066@odin.corp.sgi.com> woofy@sgi.com (Wolfchild) writes:
>In article <340@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM> dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP (David C. Barnhart II) writes:
>>
>>Just wait till you get out and have to pay $8,000 or more for a mac,
>>and I'll see what you say then.  Of course students don't have much
>>money, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us should have to pay
>>the OUTRAGEOUS list prices for these machines.  Of course, only a
>>legal recourse to this problem is permissible, but the argument that:
>>"someone works, makes money, and has a car ==> he can afford to pay
>>full price for a mac" just doesn't hold water.
>>
>Are you trying to claim that it is immoral for Apple to set its prices the
>way it does, and that the actions of the original poster are therefore
>justified? This is the same argument that people use to justify pirating
>software.  I won't state absolutely that it's not a valid argument, but I
>*will* say that I have never seen anyone make it work.

Oh come on.  You can't possibly be stupid enough to say that anywhere in
the first paragraph above it says anything about it being immoral for
Apple to charge what they do for the machines.  They can charge whatever they
want, but I'm still free to acquire (within the bounds of the law) one of
their machines as cheaply as I can.  Also, I was never justifying the actions
of the person who wanted a student to buy a mac for him.  I was stating
however, that the fact that he works, does not mean that he can afford the
full retail prices for the mac.  This seems to be a popular fallacy; one
which you also seem to take refuge in, since you have no other argument to
offer.  You then take your incorrect assumption of my intent and try to
parallel it to software piracy, which I am also against.  You seem to think
that people will believe you are right if you only shout the right "buzzwords"
and shout loud enough.  Shouting "software piracy" will certainly get their
attention, but discerning readers will see that your arguments have no
validity whatsoever.  You may believe (correctly, IMHO) that it is immoral
for non-students to try to take advantage of the student discount, but
supporting it with invalid arguments only weakens your case.

>You don't have to pay any prices, 'OUTRAGEOUS' or otherwise.  This would be
>the first time I've heard anyone claim that an Apple dealer used strong arm
>tactics on them :-).  Seriously, this is a free market economy.  If 'the rest
>of us' don't think the machines are worth the price, we won't buy them, and
>the law of supply demand will take its toll.

You are correct.  We don't have to pay those prices.  We can find legal means
to circumvent the high prices.  The fact that we have money doesn't mean we
have to be stupid.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar
--
Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

derek@coco2.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (02/04/91)

I only wish this college was ON the Apple University Consortium plan!
The way it is now, our Macs are bought through NYNEX Info Services,
and their deals are only available through faculty or staff purchase orders,
and institutional use.  Any poor slob of a STUDENT who'd like to buy a
Mac for a reasonable price is up the creek.  The fact that I'm an employee
as well may give me some leeway, 99% of the students can forget it.

grumble grumble...

                                                 Derek L.
--
if there hadn't been that scandal at the micro store
three years ago, this would never have happened...

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (02/05/91)

In article <43622@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>An observation:
>
>It had been suggested that Apple is defrauded by "ineligibles"
>who arrange to buy Macs at academic discounts.  I think the real
>losers are the VARs and retailers (the ComputerLands and BusinessLands).
>In our area, a local ComputerLand does an enormous amount of repair
>work on computers purchased by students.  The costs might be defrayed
>by repair charges or Apple warranty reimbursements, but the net result

"...defrayed by repair charges" is an understatement. Our campus computer
store does repairs at parts cost + labor cost for departmental equipment
only. Students, staff, and faculty who purchase through the educational
discount program are required to take their machines to an authorized
dealer for non-warranty repair. The price differences are interesting, to
say the least. Motherboard swap on a Macintosh II is about $300 + $25 labor
at the campus store. The local computer store charges $700 + $150 labor.

>is that a ComputerLand is giving up some of its ability to service
>paying customers in order to fulfill it's obligation as an authorized

See above. I think that if I'm paying roughly 2.5 times cost, I qualify
as a "paying customer". Perhaps even a "paying through the nose customer."

>reseller.  Service people have told me that the non-student academic
>Macs just add insult to injury.

Again, I don't see what the problem is. $100 an hour labor is the same no
matter whose machine you're fixing. And If they're losing money at those
prices, maybe they should consider taking some management courses at the
local university :-)

>I guess this won't dissuade somebody who'll try to give a student
>$200 to break a contract -- but there is more at stake than a few
>dollars lost in Apple profits.  Why give ComputerLand yet another
>reason to push IBM PC's?

Uhh, Apple isn't the only company that does educational discounts. The
campus store here sells IBM, Zenith, and HP products at rougly the same
percentage discounts as Apple machines. In fact, IBM and Zenith are
more easily purchased, as they both accept credit cards for payment,
where Apple requires a cashier's check on delivery.

>-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.195905.31376@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) writes:
>percentage discounts as Apple machines. In fact, IBM and Zenith are
>more easily purchased, as they both accept credit cards for payment,
>where Apple requires a cashier's check on delivery.

It's even worse here.  I had to give them my cashier's check BEFORE
they would even process the dumb order.  And then 3 1/2 weeks after I
ordered the machine, Apple still hadn't felt like processing the
order.  When they finally shipped the machine, it went UPS ground.
Talk about cheap -- when I pay $3k for a machine it ships UPS ground,
but when I pay $12 for a disk library it ships Airborne Express next
day air.

My roommate ordered an IBM PS/2 30 on a Saturday and by the next
Friday had the machine in his room.
--
Kevin Kuehl
krk@cs.purdue.edu

aaron@nyu.edu (Aaron Sosnick) (02/05/91)

It is not clear that reselling a Mac bought with a student discount is
illegal. It is certainly not a criminal offense. You cannot go to jail for it.

Usually when you buy property it is yours. You may do what you want with it,
including sell it. Any obligation not to resell a Mac would constitute a contract
between you and Apple. There are many reasons a contract may not be valid.
Some of them may apply here. In particular, unreasonable restrictions on the use
of property are often unenforceable. Selling a Mac when you no longer have
a use for it is arguably reasonable.

In any event, a general principle of contract law holds that contract
violation only makes you liable for damage done to the other party and
that that party holds the burden of proof in any court case. Apple will
have a hard time showing that they have been damaged if you would not have
bought a Mac at a higher price. Furthermore it is very unlikely that they
would go to court to regain a few hundred dollars.

In my opinion Apple's monopolistic and anti-competitive efforts to segment
markets and restrict product use constitute the real ethical wrongdoing.

To be safe I would advise one to simply offer to pay someone $200 more than
Apple's discount prices for a little-used Mac. This will make it clear that
you are not advocating that anyone enter into a contract with Apple with intent
to defraud.

I am not a lawyer, but I play one on the net.

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (02/05/91)

>Are you trying to claim that it is immoral for Apple to set its prices the
>way it does, and that the actions of the original poster are therefore
>justified?

Side question:

How is it that Apple can set up an arrangement that is a blatant example of
price discrimination (which, in this country is normally illegal)?  I know
that airline companies engage in price discrimination, but do so on the basis
of time, convenience, ... that is not DIRECTLY related to one's identity.

I'm sure that this activity is legal (since I'm sure some dealers would have
sued by now if it wasn't), but why isn't it plain, old, simple price
discrimination?

PS: I am typing at a legitimate, consortium-bought, 6-1/2 year old Mac right
now.  (sure, about all that is original is the case, 3/4 of the analog board
and the keyboard cable, but that's not the point.)
basis
--
Richard Straka                    AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka        MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane

In article <1991Feb5.034345.9115@bond> bond!aaron@nyu.edu (Aaron Sosnick) writes:
   It is not clear that reselling a Mac bought with a student discount is
   illegal.

   Usually when you buy property it is yours. You may do what you want with it,
   including sell it.

The agreement I signed when I bought my Mac didn't prevent me from
reselling it.  All it said was that if I decided to sell it within the
next 2 or 3 years (can't remember which) I had to make a reasonable
effort to sell it to someone who also qualified for the educational
discount.  After making a reasonable effort, I was free to do anything
I wanted with it.  Since this is pretty vague, I imagine that it is
pretty unenforcable except when someone pays me $200 to get them a Mac
and I turn it over to them within a month of receiving it.  I don't
see how someone could claim they made a reasonable effort in that
case.
--

pmulcahy@ecst.csuchico.edu (Patrick Mulcahy) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.034345.9115@bond> bond!aaron@nyu.edu (Aaron Sosnick) writes:

>It is not clear that reselling a Mac bought with a student discount is
>illegal. It is certainly not a criminal offense. You cannot go to jail for it.
>
>To be safe I would advise one to simply offer to pay someone $200 more than
>Apple's discount prices for a little-used Mac. This will make it clear that
>you are not advocating that anyone enter into a contract with Apple with intent
>to defraud.

well, the contract you sign with apple states that you are buying the mac for
personal use and that you will not sell it for 2 years.  it's hard to get
around it without opening yourself to a clear case of fraud.

selling a 'little used' computer is fine with apple, provided you've kept it
for 2 years.  nice try, but not quite.

violating this contract leaves you open to more than just the amount of damages,
as apple can sue for punitive damages, etc.  the claim that you would only be
liable for the difference in price is silly.  it simply goes to show that...

>I am not a lawyer, but I play one on the net.

is very true.  please don't give legal advice if your not sure of it.

				p.

		         * capital letters are evil *

patrick michael mulcahy (now that's irish)          * pmulcahy@ecst.csuchico.edu
at csuc (c-suck or cal state chico to you)          * acm@ecst.csuchico.edu

***	    	grad student and wanna-be philosopher...	             ***
***    		graduating in dec-91 with a masters in a.i.		     ***
***		think about hiring me now, avoid the rush.	  	     ***

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (02/06/91)

bond!aaron@nyu.edu (Aaron Sosnick) wrote:
->It is not clear that reselling a Mac bought with a student discount is
->illegal. It is certainly not a criminal offense. You cannot go to jail for it.

it's not clear that this is a *criminal* offense ... nor that it is
*illegal* ... but if you sign an agreement which says you won't resell
it and you break that agreement then you might find yourself subject
to civil suit.

here at MIT, the campus computer store pushes macintoshes, ps/2's, and
386 boxes provided by the various manufacturers under an academic
discount.  to purchase one of these you sign an agreement which states
that you won't resell the computer within some period (two years, i
think).  you're allowed to buy one of each type of computer during
that period (therefore, one macintosh, one ps/2, and one 386 box).

it would seem to me that, while a civil suit is certainly overkill,
the Institute could make your life miserable with administrative
sanctions if you chose to dishonor this agreement.

note also that the contracts are not typically with the computer
manufacturer, but with the reseller (usually a campus computer store
which has the capability to service these computers, monitor the
purchases, etc.)

->I am not a lawyer, but I play one on the net.

indeed ...

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>
#     via X.400: S=mensch; OU=informatik; P=tu-muenchen; A=dbp; C=de

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.040636.8503@cbnewsc.att.com> straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) writes:
:
:>Are you trying to claim that it is immoral for Apple to set its prices the
:>way it does, and that the actions of the original poster are therefore
:>justified?
:
:Side question:
:
:How is it that Apple can set up an arrangement that is a blatant example of
:price discrimination (which, in this country is normally illegal)?  I know

other examples of price discrimination:
I get $1 discount at the movies for being a student.
Grandma gets senior discount just about anywhere.
I pay $$$ in auto insurance because I am male/under 25.

Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, and a few other specific
qualities may be illegal some of the time,
but discrimination in general is not.
--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

piper@s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM (Piper Keairnes) (02/08/91)

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM writes:

>>    On a more positive note. Try calling MacFriends (see any mac mag).
>>Their prices compare to those we get with an educational discount.
>>

>You should have said this in the first place instead of trying to
>use a worthless argument.

Blah blah blah.... :-)

For a real world example, I am a student at Purdue University and we have
fairly good educational prices. BUT, I bought my computer completely third
party.  I saved about $1000 over what it would have cost through the univer-
sity.  This was on a loaded IIci system. I shopped around for several weeks in
all the Mac mags and found the best prices from a number of places. Each
piece of hardware came from somewhere else. The service wasn't that great
at some places, but the money saved was worth the trouble.

And of course just three months after I bought my Quantum 105 HD, prices
have dropped nearly $200. Caveat emptor.

Good luck to all ...
--

-----
Piper Keairnes         * piper@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com        *

dpassage@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (David G. Paschich) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Jan31.031816.5109@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:
>In article <3866@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>>From article <5606@auspex.auspex.com>, by hitz@auspex.auspex.com (Dave Hitz):
>>> A friend of mine is looking for a student who can get a good
>>> educational discount to by him a Mac.  (I mean, he'll pay for it, but
>>> the student has to buy it for the discount to work.)
>>>
>>> And he'll also pay the student $200 (or anyone who has access to the
>>> educational discount) $200 for their trouble.
>>
>>This may be illegal at most educational institutions.  Here you must
>
>    Paul was not strong enough in his protest. I think what your
>friend is proposing is not only illegal but immoral. It is people like
>your friend that could cause students to loose their educational
>discount.

On a more constructive note, it should be noted that the current student
price for a Mac Classic with 2MB and a 40MB hard drive is $1150 or so, while
the current street price is around $1300, thus not making it worth paying
$200 for the priviledge of getting the student discount.  One side effect of
Apple's new low pricing strategy is that the student discount isn't nearly
as deep anymore

David G. Paschich
dpassage@ocf.berkeley.edu
Just say not to huge .sigs!

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (02/12/91)

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson) writes to richard.j.straka:

GJ> Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, and a few other
GJ> specific qualities may be illegal some of the time, but discrimination
GJ> in general is not.

That's right.  If it were, those Coke/Pepsi ads would be a big waste of money.

"Excuse me, sir?  PC police.  I noticed you spent more than two seconds deciding
which soft drink to buy.  Could you come with me please?...no sir, I'm sorry.
 I didn't know you were from Madagascar.  At any rate, ignorance of the law
is no excuse.  In this country, discrimination is illegal.  If you'll please
step this way..."

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix