[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Prolog

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (02/13/91)

Is anyone out there aware of a Prolog compiler for the Mac? (either PD or
commerical will do)

Regards,

--
______ Bill Taroli -- Syracuse University   | The only thing necessary for the|
\    /                                      | triumph of evil is for good men |

glp@ibism.UUCP (Greg Parkinson) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.220827.17917@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) writes:
|> Is anyone out there aware of a Prolog compiler for the Mac? (either PD or
|> commerical will do)
|>
|> Regards,

Quintus has one, not sure of the cost.  They are out in the bayarea,
area code 415.  I have an old number - 415 813 3827.

Good Luck

--
Greg Parkinson (GregBear)    Phone:  212-657-7814
Citibank                     Fax:    212-825-8607

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.220827.17917@rodan.acs.syr.edu> wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) writes:
> Is anyone out there aware of a Prolog compiler for the Mac? (either PD or
> commerical will do)

I'll assume you mean "Prolog systems". I'm not quite sure what qualifies as
a "compiler", since most systems use threaded interpreters, intermediate
language compilers, or other funny tricks. Anyway, there are two Mac Prolog
systems that I am aware of. (I'm sure there are others.)

One is called "AAIS Prolog" (AAIS is the company, Advanced A.I. Systems).
It was about $150 when I bought it (2 years ago). It's a good enough
system, well integrated with the Macintosh. It has full toolbox support, plus
the facilities to add toolbox traps and interface with code resources.
There is an Edinburgh-compatible mode, and a native mode that supports
efficient strings (not as character lists) and a few other extensions.
The world can be saved as a binary and quickly reloaded. A stand-alone
application facility is optional, I've never bothered buying it so I can't
comment on it.
AAIS Prolog is not exactly a speed daemon, but on a Mac II it's fast enough
for me. On an SE it's a bit of a drag, but it's serviceable if you can give
it lots of memory (>2MB).
I think I can recommend this as a semi-professional Prolog system, i.e.
it's quite good enough for personal experimentation and quite sizeable
Prolog coding. I've never released a product from it.

The other Prolog I know about, is called LPW Prolog. All I know is, two
years ago I called them and received a Demo Disk. The program on that disk
was to totally bad that I tossed the disk and forgot about them.
What struck me particularly, was that they were an IBM/PC outfit
branching into the Mac world, and their Mac integration was, well, just about
nonexistent.
At that time (early 1989), their pricing was $400 and upwards, in many
little optional pieces.
I'll have to stress that this was two years ago. For all I know, they may
have gotten their act together since. It also seems that LPW is a British
company, and I've heard people from Europe say nice things about them.
It's possible that the problem is or was with their U.S. distributor.
  -- perry
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		       perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **  {amdahl,sgi,pacbell}!key!perry

marti@mint.inf.ethz.ch (Robert Marti) (02/14/91)

In article <2439@key.COM> perry@arkon.key.COM (Perry The Cynic) writes:
>> Is anyone out there aware of a Prolog compiler for the Mac?
>There are two Mac Prolog systems that I am aware of.

Me too.

>One is called "AAIS Prolog" (AAIS is the company, Advanced A.I. Systems).

Yup.  I have a 5 year old version (release 1.13) which ran quite
acceptably on a 1MByte Mac+ at the time.  Since I have SICStus Prolog
on a Sun, I don't use it anymore, though.  One thing which pissed me
off was that AAIS (the company) never bothered to send upgrade
information despite the fact that I registered my copy right away.

>The other Prolog I know about, is called LPW Prolog. All I know is, two
>years ago I called them and received a Demo Disk. The program on that disk
>was to totally bad that I tossed the disk and forgot about them.
>What struck me particularly, was that they were an IBM/PC outfit
>branching into the Mac world, and their Mac integration was, well,
>just about nonexistent.

I guess you're talking about LPA MacProlog Professional or whatever the
product is called exactly.  Logic Programming Associates (LPA) are
indeed a British company.  I know a couple of people who use the system
for their research work and are very happy with it.  Highly efficient,
good integration with the Mac, etc.  I believe that nowadays, Quintus
(of Mountain View, CA) is the US distributor.  Try sending mail to
adler%quintus.com@sun.com or to sales%quintus.com@sun.com for further
info.

--
Robert Marti                      |  Phone:    +41 1 254 72 60
Institut fur Informationssysteme  |  FAX:      +41 1 262 39 73

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (02/15/91)

For a fairly good overview of three of four Mac Prologs, see the current
issue of either AI Expert or PC AI magazine (I forget which); it contains
a comparative review that should provide a reasonable idea of what's out
there.

--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)