[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Oztex questions...

harlan@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Pete Harlan) (02/08/91)

Concerning Oztex (a public-domain TeX implementation):

Does it work with the HP DeskWriter printer?

If so, at which ftp address might it be found?

Thanks for any help,

Pete Harlan
harlan@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

gil@daffy.gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) (02/08/91)

In article <harlan.666001759@copper> harlan@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Pete Harlan) writes:
>Concerning Oztex (a public-domain TeX implementation):
>
>Does it work with the HP DeskWriter printer?
>
>If so, at which ftp address might it be found?

I have used OzTeX with an HP DeskWriter.  It can be found
on midway.uchicago.edu.  Make sure to get the dvi2img
(or something like that) software that prints dvi file.
You don't need the font files that come with dvi2img
because the DeskWriter's resolutions (300 dpi) enables
it to use the fonts that come with OzTeX.

			- Gil Neiger
			gil@cc.gatech.edu

harlan@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Pete Harlan) (02/14/91)

harlan@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Pete Harlan) writes:
>Concerning Oztex (a public-domain TeX implementation):
>
>Does it work with the HP DeskWriter printer?
>If so, at which ftp address might it be found?

I just thought I'd follow up with my results here...

The program works beautifully with an HP DeskWriter.  Nothing has
crashed once, and there have been virtually no problems.  It takes
between 10 and 15 megs on the hard disk, but the output on the
DeskWriter looks better than anything I've printed before.  It's
enough to convince me that WYSIWYG is over-rated.

Where to get it: midway.uchicago.edu

You will need a terminal program for your mac that supports MacBinary
transfers.

OzTeX itself doesn't directly print on a non-postscript printer;
rather, there is a separate program, dvim72-mac, for printing .dvi
files.

The stuffit file oztex.sit contains a version of dvim72-mac that is
out of date---it wouldn't print anything.  But there is a separate
directory that contains the newer version, and that works fine.  That
directory also includes font files, but you only need them if you want
to preview your work in a special mode of OzTeX that is not very good
anyway.

OzTeX includes preview capability, and LaTeX.  All in all, I feel as
happy with the program as I would hope to feel with commercial
software.  (On this note, is there anyone who uses, say, TeXtures who
feels that it is better in some way?  I've not used a commercial TeX.)

Also included at midway is metafont, but I've not run the program
yet...

Thanks to the people who helped me out in my quest!

--Pete harlan@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

lmlars01@ulkyvx.bitnet (02/17/91)

> OzTeX includes preview capability, and LaTeX.  All in all, I feel as
> happy with the program as I would hope to feel with commercial
> software.  (On this note, is there anyone who uses, say, TeXtures who
> feels that it is better in some way?  I've not used a commercial TeX.)

I've not used the version of OzTeX which incorporates TeX 3.0, so things may
have changed, but I do prefer Textures to OzTeX because of the editor.
OzTeX lets you use any text editor of your choice, which is nice except that it
then can't drop you right into the offending line of text when an error occurs.
The editor in Textures is integrated so that there's no Multifindering between
compiler, editor and previewer. You go exactly where you want.

Another advantage to Textures is that it will print to anything. I use it with
a GCC PLP and I know people who use it with Deskwriters. I have even used it on
an Imagewriter, but wouldn't recommend it because of the quality. The
Postscript fonts for use with Textures work fine with Adobe Type manager and
consequently take up a lot less space than the myriad bitmaps necessary for
OzTeX.

On the other hand, there's something a little flaky about the Textures type 1
fonts. They print fine, but at certain sizes ATM refuses to show the equal or
minus signs on the screen in the preview. They are also rejected by Freedom of
Press Light. I have talked to people at Blue Sky Research and the FoP people
and they're "talking with each other" now.

I've used TeX on a lot of different systems and Textures is about as "user
friendly" as TeX can get.

Lee Larson                                          BITNET: LMLARS01@ULKYVX
Department of Mathemagics                           Telephone: 502/588-6826
University of Louisville                            GEnie: L.LARSON
Louisville, Kentucky                                CIS: 70406,1151

c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) (02/19/91)

Two clarifications of Pete Harlan's posting on OzTeX.  He writes:~

>OzTeX itself doesn't directly print on a non-postscript printer;
>rather, there is a separate program, dvim72-mac, for printing .dvi
>files.
>
>The stuffit file oztex.sit contains a version of dvim72-mac that is
>out of date---it wouldn't print anything.  But there is a separate
>directory that contains the newer version, and that works fine.  That
>directory also includes font files, but you only need them if you want
>to preview your work in a special mode of OzTeX that is not very good
>anyway.

The fonts included with dvim72 are 72dpi and 144dpi fonts, which can be
used for previewing, but they are really there to enable printing on an
Imagewriter I (72dpi) or Imagewriter II (144dpi).  Of course 300dpi fonts
are used with laserwriters and deskwriters.

Pete also mentions Metafont; Indeed there is a version of Metafont for the
Macintosh at midway.uchicago.edu, but be forwarned that it is an MPW tool,
not a stand alone application.

--Walter

Walter Carlip 		        	**** carlip@ace.cs.ohiou.edu ****