[comp.sys.mac.wanted] WANTED: Good equation editor

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (02/27/91)

In article <3690@intvax.UUCP> mack@intvax.UUCP (Michael J. McDonald) writes:
>From article <RANG.91Feb24151451@nexus.cs.wisc.edu>, by rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang):
>>   Is there a good equation editor around--either a DA, or a small
>> application--which can save equations as PICT resources, and which can
>> also save them in TeX form?  It would also be great if it supported
>> input of equations in TeX form, though this isn't necessary.
>
>MathType is the program that not only has all the features for which
>you seek, but is also a great program for not only writing
>equations, but (because it has very smart cutting and pasting
>capabilities) is a kinda nice program for developing equations.

Just for completeness it should be mentioned that Expressionist is
also a good equation editor which has the advantage of interfacing
well with Theorist, the mathematics package which is like Mathematica
for those of us who aren't smart enough to use Mathematica's most
powerful features, but want an integral to look like an integral,
dammit.  You can construct equations in Expressionist so they look
like "Yeah, that's the thing I want to evaluate" and import it into
Theorist.  They were developed by the same company -- you don't
suppose they planned it that way, do you?

	== Daniel ==

---------------------------
D. Daniel Sternbergh
ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu
Disclaimer: I'm a happy MathType user.

suarez@aquarius.as.arizona.edu (Jose Suarez) (02/28/91)

Someone wrote:

>Just for completeness it should be mentioned that Expressionist is
>also a good equation editor...

I, too, am a happy MathType user.  There's one thing I *hated* abo
Expressionist:  it couldn't do double integrals correctly.  That may have
been corrected in a newer release, but the version I looked at almost two
years ago couldn't do i.  So try them out before choosing!

-- Jose

--
=========  Jose Suarez               Internet:  suarez@as.arizona.edu  =========
=========  Steward Observatory           SPAN:  IUE::SUAREZ            =========

scavo@CIE.UOREGON.EDU (03/03/91)

In article <RANG.91Feb24151451@nexus.cs.wisc.edu> you write:
>  Is there a good equation editor around--either a DA, or a small
>application--which can save equations as PICT resources, and which can
>also save them in TeX form?  It would also be great if it supported
>input of equations in TeX form, though this isn't necessary.

One other possibility is the recently released MathWriter 2.0.
Equations are easy to create from the template palette, and it
also has a feature that will save a document as a text file
while automatically pulling all of equations out as PICTs and
placing them in the Scrapbook.  It can't read or write TeX, but
it will filter Word 4.0 docs, equations and all, BEAUTIFULLY!

MathWriter is full-featured word processor, so it may be a
bit of overkill for what you have in mind.  Student version
is $99.95 (Professional version is $395).

DISCLAIMER:  I've been beta testing MW 2.0 for over a year.

--
Tom Scavo
scavo@cie.uoregon.edu

guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) (03/04/91)

In article <1179@organpipe.UUCP> suarez@aquarius.as.arizona.edu (Jose
Suarez) writes:

>I, too, am a happy MathType user.  There's one thing I *hated* abo
>Expressionist:  it couldn't do double integrals correctly.  That may have
>been corrected in a newer release, but the version I looked at almost two
>years ago couldn't do i.  So try them out before choosing!

I am using version 2.07 (which I believe to be the newest) and it does
multiple integrals just fine (I think you can't use more than 8
integral signs within a multiple integral, but that should be
sufficient.)
Things aren't quite as straight forward if you want to create iterated
integrals that are of identical height but even that's not to
difficult.
Andreas Guelzow
<guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
P.S. I am just a very satisfied user of Expressionist and Theorist and
have no other relationship to Prescience.