[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Wanted: Binhex 4.0

00ajtemplin@bsu-ucs.uucp ("I feel better than James Brown." - Was Not Was) (03/11/91)

Wanted:

        I have need of the program Binhex 4.0 in order to decode freeware
and shareware on the newsgroups.  If anyone has a copy and would like to
send it to me, you would have my eternal thanks.  (But that's all.)  If
you could also include some documentation or instructions, then great.

         Please send it to:

      nosilla@bsu-cs.bsu.edu  or  iuvax!bsu-cs.bsu.edu!nosilla

                                         Thank you in advance,

                                               Andrew

--

                               Operation:Mindfuck
         Mail:                             Main Office Hours:

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/14/91)

> I have need of the program Binhex 4.0 in order to decode freeware
Get Stuffit from sumex; it will do the trick.

Ian Chai
chai@cs.ukans.edu
2fntnougat@ukanvax.bitnet

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (03/15/91)

>> I have need of the program Binhex 4.0 in order to decode freeware

>Get Stuffit from sumex; it will do the trick.

But isn't Stuffit encoded in BinHex?  Hmmmm....

He COULD try to get BinHex 4.0 from the net, but
that's also in .hqx format....

-shane

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (Bill Johnston) (03/15/91)

In article <2923@cod.NOSC.MIL>, deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) writes...
>>> I have need of the program Binhex 4.0 in order to decode freeware
>>Get Stuffit from sumex; it will do the trick.
>But isn't Stuffit encoded in BinHex?  Hmmmm....
>He COULD try to get BinHex 4.0 from the net, but
>that's also in .hqx format....

I know this won't cut down the flow of "I need BinHex 4.0 postings"
but there are several sensible ways of getting around this silly
chicken and egg problem.  First, Binhex 4.0 *is* available in binary
format on sumex:  look for the one with the ".bin" extension, and
be sure to ftp and download in binary mode.

Moreover, there are several ftp sites that archive in binary format.
For example, rascal.ics.utexas.edu.  It saves download time and
net-bandwidth to use these sites, because the binaries are much
smaller than the corresponding .hqx files.

The monthly "frequently asked questions" posting in
comp.sys.mac.announce has a good discussion of Mac
file transfer considerations.  Perhaps it would pay to
repost it on a regular basis in comp.sys.mac.misc --
ala the "starter kit" postings in comp.binaries.ibm.pc
(which are excellent, by the way).

-- Bill Johnston (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (03/15/91)

In article <2923@cod.NOSC.MIL> deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) writes:

>But isn't Stuffit encoded in BinHex?  Hmmmm....
>
>He COULD try to get BinHex 4.0 from the net, but
>that's also in .hqx format....

rascal.ics.utexas.edu has files stored as binaries.  Just type binary at teh
FTP prompt.  Remember to select MacBinary for the download to your local
computer, if your Unix account is on another machine.

ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) (03/18/91)

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:

>> I have need of the program Binhex 4.0 in order to decode freeware
>Get Stuffit from sumex; it will do the trick.

So can Compact Pro (which is superior to StuffIt), but since you need BinHex
to decode either one...

There are two ways to help someone without it:

1) If the guy has MacKermit 0.98 or any other MacBinary downloader, he could
get a MacBinary version of BinHex (possibly uuencoded).

2) If a Pascal compiler is available, he could get "binhex4.pas" from Sumex.
When run, it creates a copy of BinHex 4.0. (No, it is *not* the source to
BinHex 4 itself.)

--
Ingemar Ragnemalm
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	     ...!uunet!mcvax!enea!rainier!ingemar