[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Software that will read a PICT and write an EPSF

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) (03/08/91)

I am requested by co-workers to find something that will input a PICT file
and produce an EPSF data file.  Claris informs me that MacDrawII (Pro?)
will do this, in its next release.  I need something now - any ideas?
Please answer in EMail.  - Yossie

---

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov; yossie@fnccf.bitnet
What did the Caspian Sea? - Saki

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/09/91)

In article <ZZ?#PF#@linac.fnal.gov>, yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) writes:

> I am requested by co-workers to find something that will input a PICT file
> and produce an EPSF data file.  Claris informs me that MacDrawII (Pro?)
> will do this, in its next release.  I need something now - any ideas?
> Please answer in EMail.  - Yossie

Currently shipping in sort of betaware is a draw program called Michael's
Draw from Event One. It's almost bug free, but he introduced this
version at the January MacWorld and wanted to upgrade everyone to
a final release this spring.

It does fine EPS import and export.  I haven't thoroughly tested the
EPS import/export, but I expect that it's pretty good as Michael (the
author) does a far amount of work with Adobe.

You can contact Event On at:

Event One
222 Del Norte Avenue
Sunnyvale, California
(408) 734-4358

He's got a special price going right now.  I forget exactly, but < $100!

Tell him I sent you :-)

-- michael, not the Michael of Michael's Draw

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

mjward@adobe.COM (Michael J. Ward) (03/10/91)

Essentially all of the high-end paint and image-processing programs for the
Mac will do this. They are not cheap. And they usually work by saving a
bit-map image of the PICT (so pixel dimensions are critical) and sending it
out with postscript header and trailer. But if you can get access to one
(like the 32-bit paint programs, Photoshop, etc) it should get you past the
first stage.

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (03/19/91)

>> I am requested by co-workers to find something that will input a PICT file
>> and produce an EPSF data file.  Claris informs me that MacDrawII (Pro?)
>> will do this, in its next release.  I need something now - any ideas?
>> Please answer in EMail.  - Yossie
>
> Currently shipping is sort of betaware is a draw program called Michael's
> Draw from Event One.

I feel compelled to mention that Canvas 2.1 includes a utility called
Canvas Separator that does exactly what the original poster wanted.
I've used it successfully many times.  Plus, you get a free upgrade to
3.0 if you buy now :-).

Charles Allen                           Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics                   HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
Purdue University                       Bitnet:   cca@fnal.bitnet
1396 Physics Building
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1396          talknet:  317/494-9776