[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Wanted: Password Protection

curfmanm@darkstar.CAS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfmanm) (03/14/91)

Is there any PD or commercial software that would allow we to protect
unauthorized usage of either the entire hard drive, or perferably individual
folder on the hard drive, with password access?

Matt Curfman                                           Oregon State University
curfmanm@darkstar.cas.orst.edu             Extension Computing Technology Unit
                         Standard Disclaimer Applies

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar13.220532.26469@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@darkstar.CAS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfmanm) writes:
>Is there any PD or commercial software that would allow we to protect
>unauthorized usage of either the entire hard drive, or perferably individual
>folder on the hard drive, with password access?

I use Hard Disk Partition from FWB Software. This package allows me to
create password protected partitions of up to 32M. I can also create
read only partitions, although I have never used this feature. I
believe the package costs about $70 (or less?) and is available from
the usual mail order houses.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (03/16/91)

   In article <1991Mar13.220532.26469@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@darkstar.CAS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfmanm) writes:
   >Is there any PD or commercial software that would allow we to protect
   >unauthorized usage of either the entire hard drive, or perferably individual
   >folder on the hard drive, with password access?

	SilverLining formatting/partitioning/optimizing software has
	password protection for hard partitions.

	=Mike
--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

bbs.vertigo@mudslide.spies.sf-bay.org (Kevyn Shortell) (03/16/91)

Is there any software that you know that will let you password protected a
mounted NON SCSI HD? I have a pair of Apple HD20's that I use for files
space, and I would like to password protect them, I've tried several
programs both shareware and commercial with little sucess, anyone on the net
know of any software that will work on Non SCSI drives?
Thanks.

--
Kevyn Shortell (bbs.vertigo@mudslide.spies.sf-bay.org)

Spies in the Wire, PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX  -- (408) 867-7400

arie@eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (03/22/91)

|    In article <1991Mar13.220532.26469@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@darkstar.CAS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfmanm) writes:
|   >Is there any PD or commercial software that would allow we to protect
|   >unauthorized usage of either the entire hard drive, or perferably individual
|   >folder on the hard drive, with password access?

| 	SilverLining formatting/partitioning/optimizing software has
| 	password protection for hard partitions.

| 	=Mike
| --
| = Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
| = OSF/Motif Development
| = "I can't give you brains, but I can give you a diploma." -- The Wizard of OZ

SilverLining formatting/partitioning/optimizing software does not work
with all drives, so be aware of the type of drive mechanism you want to
install it on.  I found it the hard way, after having continuous problems
with a 45MB Rodime mechanism, even after I called LaCie, the makers of
SilverLining.  They claimed that their software works with all drives
that they know of.  Finally I talked to the tech support people at PCPC
(whose MacBottom drive I have) and they told me that SilverLining does
not work with their Rodime drives and I should install their (PCPC's)
software.  I did and indeed the problems with the drive are solved.

Arie Covrigaru                     |    University of Michigan AI Lab
Phone: (313)763-1255               |    Room 149, Advanced Technology Bldg.
Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109