[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Needed: UNIX unsit, UNIX unhqx

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.205339.7586@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>I find myself in need of an unsit tool for Unix, in order to
>decompress Stuffit archives.  Similarly, I need a Unix tool that will
>do the BinHex translation as well.

	Well, a dozen mail messages and one transatlantic "talk"
later, I think I have all the info I need.  <grin> Thanks everyone who
took the time to point me in the right direction..

To summarize:

	It turns out I need three programs altogether:

mcvert:		Translates a binhexed file into a binary
		(.site.hqx -> .sit.bin, .pit.hqx -> .pit.bin, etc.)

unsit:		unstuffs .sit.bin into three files
		(.rsrc, .data, .info) of type macbinary

macbin:		translates those three files into a "regular" .bin

	All three are available as .shar files via anonymous ftp at
sumex.stanford.edu in the info-mac/unix directory.

	Thanks again, folks.  You can stop replying now!  <grin>
--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1         + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FMS-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (04/03/91)

<
< 	Well, a dozen mail messages and one transatlantic "talk"
< later, I think I have all the info I need.  <grin> Thanks everyone who
< took the time to point me in the right direction..
<
< mcvert:		Translates a binhexed file into a binary
< unsit:		unstuffs .sit.bin into three files
< macbin:		translates those three files into a "regular" .bin
<
If you use A/UX you can get by without all of the above (except unsit if you
need it -- otherwise just fire up Stuffit).

"man fcnvt".

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/