[comp.sys.mac.wanted] What are Clips? Where to get them?

hardarso@weiss.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson) (04/09/91)

I'm sorry to bother you excellent netlanders but:

I just got a letter from my brother-in-law in Europe. He asks me if
I can send him what he calls "Clip-files". He is a cartographer,
uses Free Hand 2.02 on a Mac II CI to do his maps. He figured "Clips"
might spice up his maps and graphs.

I'm not a Mac user so I'm kind of out of it. I dare not refuse his
request since he might molest my sister (just kidding). So I have to
ask:
    1) What are "Clips"?
    2) Where do you go for respectable "Clips", public domain or dealers?
    3) Can anyone recommend Clip-art libraries to me that I can buy, borrow
       or steal? (No, not steal). Preferrably recommendations from someone
       who is doing business graphics and demographic charts.

A million thanks beforehand to whoever responds.

  Kari Hardarson

--

Kari Hardarson         |  Twas brillig and the slithy toves
217 Jackson Circle     |  did gyre and gimble in the wabe...

lester@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (04/09/91)

In article <3032@borg.cs.unc.edu> hardarso@weiss.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson)
writes:
>I'm sorry to bother you excellent netlanders but:
>
>I just got a letter from my brother-in-law in Europe. He asks me if
>I can send him what he calls "Clip-files". He is a cartographer,
>uses Free Hand 2.02 on a Mac II CI to do his maps. He figured "Clips"
>might spice up his maps and graphs.
>
>I'm not a Mac user so I'm kind of out of it. I dare not refuse his
>request since he might molest my sister (just kidding). So I have to
>ask:
>    1) What are "Clips"?

  He is probably talking about clip-art files (essentialy pre-canned
graphics) you can get them from just about any e-mail catalog. They come in
three categories bit-map, PICT, and EPS.  Bit-Map is usually at 72dpi
resolution but TIFF and others support up to 300 dpi.  PICT is object
graphics (like what you would do with MacDraw as opposed to MacPaint) and
is in the Mac's own internal graphics format (QuickDraw).  EPS stands for
encapsulated postscript and is an object format using postscript.

>    2) Where do you go for respectable "Clips", public domain or dealers?

 Dealers... echh!! they overcharge outragousely compared to Mail Order.
Probably
the best thing to do would be to browse through a MacConnection or MacWarehouse

catalog (if you don't have one you can get their numbers from MacWorld or
MacUser )

>    3) Can anyone recommend Clip-art libraries to me that I can buy, borrow
>       or steal? (No, not steal). Preferrably recommendations from someone
>       who is doing business graphics and demographic charts.

  As your brother-in-law uses FreeHand (a postscript drawing program) I would
suggest that you get him EPS clip-art files (unfortunately) these tend to
be the most expensive as well.

>A million thanks beforehand to whoever responds.
>
>  Kari Hardarson

You're Welcome
Jim Lester
Conusultant, Administrative Workstation Project
 Indiana University
"When I put my foot in my mouth, IU doesn't help me"