[comp.sys.mac.wanted] LaserWriter administration??

ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) (04/06/91)

Is there any software that allows administration of the
LaserWriter (user prioritization, usage, etc.)?

Chriss Koch      Ampex Video Systems Corp., 600 Wooten Rd., Colo Spgs, CO 80915
UUCP:  uunet!ampex!soul!ckoch                 SCORPION BBS 719.637.1458 (sysop)

brisbin@cactus.org (Shelly Brisbin) (04/08/91)

Lately, a number of little shareware/PD utiliities have come out for just this
purpose. Laser Lockout, PrinterInfo and ChooserUser come to mine. You might also look at some
of the new network products, like TechWorks' GraceLAN, which may or may not
offer control of printers, but certainly offer lots of information about them

Shelly Brisbin
brisbin@cactus.org.
Shelly Brisbin
Leopard Communication
brisbin@peyote.cactus.org

kovar@eclectic.COM (David C. Kovar) (04/10/91)

In article <58@soul.UUCP> ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) writes:

>Is there any software that allows administration of the
>LaserWriter (user prioritization, usage, etc.)?

  We provide a ShareWare INIT called PrintTrack that monitors printer usage
for a Macintosh. Drop it in the system folder, reboot, and you're set.
It writes a text file that contains:

  o The Chooser name that submitted the job.
  o The type of printer used. (The name of the printer will be there shortly.)
  o The name of the file printed.
  o The number of pages printed.
  o The time and date printed.

  Very simple.

  If you would like a copy of this, or would like information on something
that does this in a more secure fashion, please send a message to

  info@eclectic.com

-David
--

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@eclectic.com

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."