[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Backup Utility for the MacIntosh?

wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu (William T. Bridgman) (04/05/91)

Does anyone know of a backup (and restore) utility for the Mac
that is better than HD Backup that comes with the system.

I need a backup program that will backup to 1.4Meg floppies
faster than the afore mentioned utility.  Preferably it would do
some kind of file compression on the output diskettes and have
flexible control over what you wish to backup (whole disk,
modified files only, exclude/include certain files/folders, etc.)
A public-domain or shareware program is preferred but I would
like to hear about commercial products as well.

Thanks.

|  William T. "Tom" Bridgman         | wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu     |
|  Department of Physics & Astronomy |                                |
|  Clemson University                |"Black Holes under Construction.|
|  Clemson, SC   29634               |       WATCH YOUR STEP!"        |

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (04/06/91)

William,

Consider DiskFit from SuperMac or Retrospect from Dantz Development.  There's
also Redux from Microseeds Publishing and Fastback II from 5th Generation
Systems.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac

fabian@cup.portal.com

mfader@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Fader) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr5.132148.1549@hubcap.clemson.edu> wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu (William T. Bridgman) writes:

>Does anyone know of a backup (and restore) utility for the Mac
>that is better than HD Backup that comes with the system.
>
>I need a backup program that will backup to 1.4Meg floppies
>faster than the afore mentioned utility.  Preferably it would do
>some kind of file compression on the output diskettes and have
>flexible control over what you wish to backup (whole disk,
>modified files only, exclude/include certain files/folders, etc.)
>A public-domain or shareware program is preferred but I would
>like to hear about commercial products as well.
>
>Thanks.

I don't think you'll find anything too good in PD or shareware.  From what I've
heard and read, Fastback II is the reigning champ (commercial).

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/08/91)

mfader@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Fader) writes:

>In article <1991Apr5.132148.1549@hubcap.clemson.edu> wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu (William T. Bridgman) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know of a backup (and restore) utility for the Mac
>>that is better than HD Backup that comes with the system.
>>
>> [ ... deleted stuff ... ]

>I don't think you'll find anything too good in PD or shareware.  From what I've
>heard and read, Fastback II is the reigning champ (commercial).

With Retrospect the best at writing to different kinds of drives.  Whether
they show up on the desktop or not.  If you want to write to Exobyte, DAT,
or some other kind oe tape drives  (standard tapes or not) Retrospect
has a boat load of devices that it will write to.

Remember this is my opinion...  Anyone that is interrested in backup software
should try it out at your local dealer/egghead/etc to see if they like the
way it works.  There is no standard way to do backups and each developer
goes about it a different way.  Just remember if you can't figure out how
it works, there is always another vender out there willing to take that
money from your hot little hands...

--
      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \

matthews@mot.com (DQ525 Matthew Simpson) (04/10/91)

I am posting this for a friend, please do not respond to
this account.

In article <1991Apr5.132148.1549@hubcap.clemson.edu> wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu (William T. Bridgman) writes:

>Does anyone know of a backup (and restore) utility for the Mac
>that is better than HD Backup that comes with the system.
>
>I need a backup program that will backup to 1.4Meg floppies
>faster than the afore mentioned utility.  Preferably it would do
>some kind of file compression on the output diskettes and have
>flexible control over what you wish to backup (whole disk,
>modified files only, exclude/include certain files/folders, etc.)
>A public-domain or shareware program is preferred but I would
>like to hear about commercial products as well.
>
>Thanks.

I have a package of disk utilities for my Macintosh
called MacTools Deluxe ver 1.1.  It includes a backup
(and restore) program, as well as others that cover
hard disk recovery, security, and optimization.  The
backup program meets all of your specifications.

I am quite pleased with the package as a whole.
I think that this (commercial) package goes for about
$80 in the catalogs and discount stores.

| Michael T. Hay     |  My opinions are my own,     |
| Software Engineer  |  but the company claims      |
| Motorola, Inc.     |  everything else I think up. |
    " I've tried everything.  I have not failed
      I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. "
                                           Thomas A. Edison
-----                                                 -----

oey@applelink.apple.com (Tim Oey) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr5.132148.1549@hubcap.clemson.edu>, wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu (William T. Bridgman) writes:

> Does anyone know of a backup (and restore) utility for the Mac
> that is better than HD Backup that comes with the system.
>
> . . .

I've tried nearly every backup program for the Mac at this point.  There are no
good shareware or public domain ones that I'm aware of.

DiskFit is a pretty good one for simple backup to floppies.

The best all around program (my personal opinion) is Retrospect.  It can handle
industrial strength backups of individual machines and workgroups.  It can do
backups to nearly every media available for the Mac.  Yes it's expensive, but
if you value your data, it's worth it -- my backups have saved me on numerous
occasions :).

|  Timothy S. Oey                    | oey@applelink.apple.com        |
|  Apple Computer                    |                                |
|  900 E. Hamilton Ave, MS:73E       | "Save the earth, ride a bike"  |
|  Campbell, CA 95008                |                                |