[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Motorola C cross-compiler wanted

russ@convex.com (Russell Donnan) (04/12/91)

I am looking for a 68008 C Cross compiler for the Macintosh.  I have a
cross assembler that I like alot, but the same company doesn't make a
compiler, nor do they know of anyone who does.  This product would
preferably create Motorola HEX, but straight HEX would be fine.  Also
as an alternative, I would accept a Pascal compiler.  (Looking at
thousands of lines of assembly, and many more yet to write has made me
desperate.)

Thanks,
-Russ
--
Russ Donnan, (214) 497-4778, russ@convex.com
Convex Computer Corporation, 3000 Waterview Parkway, Richardson, TX

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.184938.18994@convex.com> russ@convex.com (Russell Donnan) writes:
>I am looking for a 68008 C Cross compiler for the Macintosh.  I have a
>cross assembler that I like alot, but the same company doesn't make a
>compiler, nor do they know of anyone who does.  This product would
>preferably create Motorola HEX, but straight HEX would be fine.  Also
>as an alternative, I would accept a Pascal compiler.  (Looking at
>thousands of lines of assembly, and many more yet to write has made me
>desperate.)

You can actually develop 68XXX family code quite nicely with MPW on the Mac.
Quite a few folks do this with MPC C and the MPW linker. You then use a
neat little utility that one of the folks at Apple developed (but it's not
an Apple-supported utility) that takes the output resources and puts them
into a Motorola hex format file for download to the target. I believe
the code file came across the binaries group a while back, so it should
be in the archives... Note that this is an MPW tool, so you need MPW to
run it. If I remember correctly, it takes a file with the prescribed
resource types and converts those resources. This means you can develop
in any language. A cheap development system might then be Aztec C (with MPW).

Good luck!

- Jack B.
amateur radio: wa4fib/7