[comp.sys.mac.wanted] needed: 1 old mac -- working and cheap.

twilight@bnet.UUCP (Susan C. Mohn) (04/18/91)

Am looking to find an old mac (plus is ideal) with at least 1 meg on board and
(if i'm lucky) a HD -- tho i'll take one without -- as long as the FD is in
good condition.  Looking to spend no more than $1000 (if HD included).

mail me at: twilight@bnet.uucp if you have any leads on one -- this is
a first 'puter for a friend who is new to 'puters and modeming...

also looking for a decent price on a used 2400 external -- same address.

thanks,

shade and sweetwater, twilight

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/19/91)

In article <yX0L16w164w@bnet> twilight@bnet.UUCP (Susan C. Mohn) writes:
>Am looking to find an old mac (plus is ideal) with at least 1 meg on board and
>(if i'm lucky) a HD -- tho i'll take one without -- as long as the FD is in
>good condition.  Looking to spend no more than $1000 (if HD included).
>
>mail me at: twilight@bnet.uucp if you have any leads on one -- this is
>a first 'puter for a friend who is new to 'puters and modeming...
>
>also looking for a decent price on a used 2400 external -- same address.
>
>thanks,
>

>shade and sweetwater, twilight

I would *really* encourage your friend to look at a Mac Classic.  University
and street prices run about $800 without a hard drive and about $1200 with 2
meg RAM and a 40 meg HD.  You get a whole lot more computer than the Plus
(sound input, 1.4 meg FDHD floppy drive, ADB connectors, faster than a Plus,
and a one year waranty from Apple!).

And now here is a VERY BAD IDEA (imho):

If your friend is set on saving a couple hundred $ (or has absolutely no
other choice), one can get a used, 1 meg RAM, Mac Plus for $695 + $28 shipping
from Sun Remarketing, Inc. (phone 800 821-3221).  I think you can somehow
put an internal hard disk in a Plus without extensive modifications, and the
cost of a 40 meg drive would be around $279 from someplace like MacProducts
(800 622-3475).  Total cost:  just over $1000.

Let me emphasize that I think getting a Plus is VERY SILLY with the Classic
being so much more for so close a price.  The Plus keyboard is a one-way
road to carpel tunnel syndrome, and sheer frustration.  The Plus power
supply is notoriously flakey, and it will almost assuredly have to be
replaced.  The cost of a replacement power supply is in the $100 range.  The
Plus has no fan, so it is more prone to heat related failure.  And the Plus
is so *incredibly* slow, that you would scream having to work on one for any
amount of time (I say this from with years experience and screaming :-)

I'm not saying a Plus is worthless (far from it - don't flame me, Plus
owners!), just that the Classic is not only a far better computer, it is a
far better value, even if you find a Plus very cheap.

As for modems, you could probably do a lot worse than the $99, 2400 baud
Power User modem from MacWarehouse (800 255-6227).  A friend of mine just
bought one, and has had no problems at all with it.  It comes with some
telecommunications software, all the cabling, and it is nice and small.

Good luck,

Alan

	|  Alan R Fry                     |   You know what I hate?    |
	|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |   Rhetorical questions     |

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (04/20/91)

:And now here is a VERY BAD IDEA (imho):
:
:If your friend is set on saving a couple hundred $ (or has absolutely no
:other choice), one can get a used, 1 meg RAM, Mac Plus for $695 + $28 shipping
:from Sun Remarketing, Inc. (phone 800 821-3221).  I think you can somehow
:put an internal hard disk in a Plus without extensive modifications, and the
:cost of a 40 meg drive would be around $279 from someplace like MacProducts
:(800 622-3475).  Total cost:  just over $1000.

I generally agree but.. I've seen Mac Plusses for ~$550 + ship ( Maya computer)
which may be 1/2 the price of a classic for someone without an
education discount.

I'll also agree the buying _anything_ from MacProducts is a " VERY BAD IDEA "

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

Mike.Pruett@f13.n396.z1.mn.org (Mike Pruett) (04/24/91)

        I've got one to sell you, I'll even throw in  some extras.
Name your price. We can negotiate.
        E-mail: mjpruett@mmug.edgar.mn.org thru Uucp
---

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (04/24/91)

In article <13525@ur-cc.UUCP> afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) writes:
>I would *really* encourage your friend to look at a Mac Classic.  University
>and street prices run about $800 without a hard drive and about $1200 with 2
>meg RAM and a 40 meg HD.  You get a whole lot more computer than the Plus
>(sound input, 1.4 meg FDHD floppy drive, ADB connectors, faster than a Plus,

I'm generally in agreement, but I think you're wrong on the sound input part.
So far as I know, only the si and the LC have builtin sound.  You still need
a MacRecorder (or similar) with the Classic....