[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Utility for swapping CapsLock & Control

levene@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Robert A. Levene) (04/30/91)

Having been recently blessed with a new Mac, I have the extended
keyboard with the caps lock key next to the "A" key.

I know there's a way to swap the control and caps lock keys - where
in the archives is it?  I searched it and the FAQ, and found nothing,
yet I recall reading an article on how to do it.

- R

--
     Robert A. Levene             \ I am the sole legitimate representative
       "/  //  / /"                \ and policy maker for my race, culture,

dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.185030.18674@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> levene@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Robert A. Levene) writes:
>Having been recently blessed with a new Mac, I have the extended
>keyboard with the caps lock key next to the "A" key.
>
>I know there's a way to swap the control and caps lock keys - where
>in the archives is it?  I searched it and the FAQ, and found nothing,
>yet I recall reading an article on how to do it.
>
>- R
>

>--
>     Robert A. Levene             \ I am the sole legitimate representative
>       "/  //  / /"                \ and policy maker for my race, culture,
> Bitnet:     RXL1@APLVM.BITNET      \ country, religion, political party,
> Internet: levene@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu \ employer and extended family. So there.

I really doubt this is possible, especially considering the fact that the
Control key is a regular key -- you press it, it "contacts" for about a sec-
ond, and returns back to the upright "off" position, whereas the CapsLock
key engages continuously until you press it again, at which point it turns
off.

I think what you're thinking of is a utility to switch the Escape and
Tilde keys for the new Mac keyboards (Classic, LC, etc.)  As far as I know,
the only thing of this nature is made by Beagle Bros. and costs around
$16.

If there is an public domain/shareware version of the above mentioned utility,
however, an pointer to an FTP site or such would be appreciated, though.
Donald Burr, Univ. of California,Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071_____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

levene@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Robert A. Levene) (04/30/91)

No, the article I read not only told how to do the change in
software, it described how to modify the hardware on the keyboard
so that the former caps-lock key would not "stick" when pressed.

In fact, that's what made the article so intriguing.  That's
*real* hacking.  I'm not sure how destructive the change was,
if it involved removing springs or cutting metal, etc.

- R

--

piper@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com (Piper Keairnes) (05/01/91)

levene@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Robert A. Levene) writes:

>No, the article I read not only told how to do the change in
>software, it described how to modify the hardware on the keyboard
>so that the former caps-lock key would not "stick" when pressed.

>In fact, that's what made the article so intriguing.  That's
>*real* hacking.  I'm not sure how destructive the change was,
>if it involved removing springs or cutting metal, etc.

People looking to buy new keyboards (usually with the purchase of a new
computer) should consider purchasing the SwitchBoard by DataDesk. For the
price of Apple's keyboard, you gain extra functionality:

  1) Dip switch to switch Caps Lock and Control keys, and an extra set of
     those two keys for the switch (since they are differently sized).
  2) At home when connected to an IBM or to a Mac.
  3) Moveable parts. If you want your numeric keypad on the left, put it
     there. There are other parts becoming available to add to the keyboard.

--
    Piper Keairnes     *     piper@rsvl.unisys.com      *  Purdue  University
  Unisys Corporation   *  uunet!rsvl.unisys.com!piper   *   Computing Center