[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Abbreviating Menu Names in MS-Word

gregw@ccsd.uts.edu.au (Greg Webb) (04/29/91)

About 12/18 months ago, someone posted instructions on how to change the
menu names in Word. (It requires more than editing the text with ResEdit.)
If anyone has a copy of those instructions, could they mail them to me
please.

Greg Webb
University of Technology, Sydney

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/29/91)

In article <845@utsmips.csd.uts.EDU.AU> gregw@ccsd.uts.edu.au (Greg Webb) writes:
>About 12/18 months ago, someone posted instructions on how to change the
>menu names in Word. (It requires more than editing the text with ResEdit.)
>If anyone has a copy of those instructions, could they mail them to me
>please.
>
>Greg Webb
>University of Technology, Sydney

Open Word with a file editor such as FEdit or SUM Tools.  Do an ASCII search
for the menu name you want to shorten (such as 'Document').  Change the
number in front of the name (8 in the case of 'Document') to something
smaller (like 3 which will give you 'Doc').  Write the sector.

Aren't Microsoft products a pleasure to modify?

Cheers,

Alan

	|  Alan R Fry                     |   You know what I hate?    |
	|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |   Rhetorical questions     |

gregw@ccsd.uts.edu.au (Greg Webb) (05/06/91)

>In article <845@utsmips.csd.uts.EDU.AU> Greg Webb writes:
>
>>About 12/18 months ago, someone posted instructions on how to change the
>>menu names in Word. (It requires more than editing the text with
ResEdit.)
>>If anyone has a copy of those instructions, could they mail them to me
>>please.
>>
>> --Greg Webb
>
>Open Word with a file editor such as FEdit or SUM Tools.  Do an ASCII
search
>for the menu name you want to shorten (such as 'Document').  Change the
>number in front of the name (8 in the case of 'Document') to something
>smaller (like 3 which will give you 'Doc').  Write the sector.
>
>Aren't Microsoft products a pleasure to modify?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Alan

Alan is nearly right. Each menu name is preceded by a byte that is the
length of the name in decimal. So, for the standard Word menu names
the data structure looks like this.

(4)File(4)Edit(6)Format(4)Font(8)Document(9)Utilities(6)Window(4)Work

(The number within parenthesis represents one byte, which has the
decimal value shown.)

However, simply cropping the name and changing the length in
accordance to the new length is not sufficient, and doesn't produce
the desired effect.

The data structure is in fact more complex. Preceding the first byte
of the above data structure, are eight pointers (each two bytes long)
pointing to the first character of each menu name. For standard menu
names they are as follows:

   Hex   (Dec)                Pointing to          Name size
   ----  -----                -----------          ---------
   0010  (16)                 File                 4
   0015  (21)                 Edit                 4
   001A  (26)                 Format               6
   0021  (33)                 Font                 4
   0026  (38)                 Document             8
   002F  (47)                 Utilities            9
   0039  (57)                 Window               6
   0040  (64)                 Work                 4

When you make the menu names shorter, you must change not only
the length byte, but you must also adjust the pointers. Note, the
increment between consecutive pointers is one more than the length of
the name because of the inclusion of the name-length byte. For those
that are uncomfortable working in hex, I am giving the pointer
values for a set of all 4-character menu names.

   Hex   (Dec)           Pointing to          Name size
   ----  -----           -----------          ---------
   0010  (16)            File                 4
   0015  (21)            Edit                 4
   001A  (26)            Form                 4
   001F  (31)            Font                 4
   0024  (36)            Docu                 4
   0029  (41)            Util                 4
   002E  (46)            Wind                 4
   0033  (51)            Work                 4

(The abbreviated names given above are only examples. You can, of
course, choose your own.)

I used ResEdit to make these changes but, as Alan Fry says, you can
use a file editor such as FEdit or SUM Tools. If you use ResEdit,
open the PCOD resource with ID 2. It's big, so you may have to
work in UniFinder or increase the MultiFinder reserved size in the
Get Info box.

I don't know if this is necessary, but I also took the precaution
of adding a number of 'null' bytes (Hex 00) after the 'k' of 'Work'
equal to the number of characters I deleted from the menu
names (13 in the above example).

Normal precautions and disclaimers apply. Make the changes to
a copy of Word, and I bare no responsibilty for what may happen.
Use these changes at your own risk.

Thanks to Alan for the menu-name size clue which, when it
didn't work, made me look further.

Why did I go to all this trouble? I often work in Word and I
find it very useful to have an on-screen clock
such as Steve Christensen's SuperClock. But as I also use
MacroMaker, the later's icon takes up all the available space on
the right-hand end of the menu bar and prevents SuperClock from
displaying. Now I can have both.

Also, shortening the menu names leaves plenty of space
for Spelling Coach Professional when I need it, and
Eyeballs when I need to be less serious :-)

 --Greg Webb