[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Printing Color Pictures to IW2

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/03/91)

I would like to print some GIF files in color on my Imagewriter II
printer with the color ribbon. I know of programs to display them,
and convert them to TIFF or PICT... but they all seem to do screen
display only.

Is there any that will do dithered color printing with an IW II?
Or will I have to write it myself?

I have TIFF documentation... does anyone know where GIF and PICT
(color) documentation might be found if I need to write it myself?

Thanks

--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.185340.3674@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>I would like to print some GIF files in color on my Imagewriter II
>printer with the color ribbon. I know of programs to display them,
>and convert them to TIFF or PICT... but they all seem to do screen
>display only.
>
>Is there any that will do dithered color printing with an IW II?
>Or will I have to write it myself?

Ian, in one of the latest issue of MacWeek, there is a blurb on
something called "MacPalette II".  It is an RDEV (Printer driver) that
will do dithered color on the Imagewriter II.  There is a demo of the
package floating about on our local BBS's.  I've tried some
color->black-and-white dithering of printouts, and it does a respectable
job. I don't have a color ribbon for my IW II, so I haven't been able to
try the color output capabilities.

If you can't find the demo, let me know.

  Paul
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company     |                                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

tom_stiller@maca.sarnoff.com (Tom Stiller) (05/08/91)

(Ian Chai) writes:
> Is there any that will do dithered color printing with an IW II?
> Or will I have to write it myself?

You might try CheapColor 2 which is available from sumex

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed above are my own and are not necessarily those of
the David Sarnoff Research Center or SRI International.