[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Looking for a mathematics PS font

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (05/14/91)

Is there a Mac Postscript type 1 font that has mathematics symbols, specifically
set operators (intersection, union, etc.)?

I've seen some bitmapped math fonts, but would prefer a Postscript Type 1
font, so that I can use ATM and a DeskWriter.
Michael Nolan                              "Software means never having
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            to say you're finished."
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            --J. D. Hildebrand in UNIX REVIEW
UUCP:      tssi!nolan (or try sparky!dsndata!tssi!nolan)
Internet:  nolan@helios.unl.edu (if you can't get the other address to work)

keie@cs.vu.nl (Keizer E G) (05/14/91)

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:

>Is there a Mac Postscript type 1 font that has mathematics symbols, specifically
>set operators (intersection, union, etc.)?

>I've seen some bitmapped math fonts, but would prefer a Postscript Type 1
>font, so that I can use ATM and a DeskWriter.

Yes, there are several. First off all Adobe has its (rather new) font package
#158 - Mathematical Pi- which will serve the needs of most mathematicians.

Furthermore, Blue Sky Research sells PostScript versions of the TeX
fonts with a decent number of mathematical symbols.

And, to top things of, today a salesman of Monotype at a Dutch exposition
for Printers `Grafivak' showed me an amazing 9 fonts full of mathematical and
other scientific symbols with (almost) anything one could whish.

Ed Keizer
Faculteit Wiskunde & Informatika
Vrije Universiteit
Amsterdam
The Netherlands
--
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.wanted
Subject: Re: Looking for a mathematics PS font

#158 - Mathematical Pi- which will serve the needs of most mathematicians.

Furthermore, Blue Sky Research sells PostScript versions of the TeX
fonts with a decent number of mathematical symbols.

And, to top things of, today a salesman of Monotype at a Dutch exposition
for Printers `Grafivak' showed me an amazing 9 fonts full of mathematical and
other scientific symbols with (almost) anything one could whish.

--
Ed Keizer					tel: +31 20 548 5777
Faculteit Wiskunde & Informatika		fax: +31 20 642 7705

guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) (05/14/91)

In article <2025@tssi.UUCP> tssi!nolan writes:
>Is there a Mac Postscript type 1 font that has mathematics symbols, specifically
>set operators (intersection, union, etc.)?
>
>I've seen some bitmapped math fonts, but would prefer a Postscript Type 1
>font, so that I can use ATM and a DeskWriter.
The Adobe Symbol font (included with ATM) contains most set operators
and the Adobe MatheamticalPi 1 through 6 fonts contain all I can think
of.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow                       <guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May14.143907.20899@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) writes:
|> In article <2025@tssi.UUCP> tssi!nolan writes:
|> >Is there a Mac Postscript type 1 font that has mathematics symbols, specifically
|> >set operators (intersection, union, etc.)?
|> >
|> >I've seen some bitmapped math fonts, but would prefer a Postscript Type 1
|> >font, so that I can use ATM and a DeskWriter.
|> >------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> The Adobe Symbol font (included with ATM) contains most set operators
|> and the Adobe MatheamticalPi 1 through 6 fonts contain all I can think
|> of.
Some of the characters referred to are hard to find, but in the Symbol font. They
are characters that are normally "overstrikes" on the Mac keyboard. Option-n
shift-O and option-n shift-A and option-<space> give you 3 of the subset-type
operations. Use the keycaps DA plus knowledge of what are valid "overstrike"
combinations in other fonts to experiment further.
---
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

ICBAL@ASUACAD.BITNET (05/15/91)

>Is there a Mac Postscript type 1 font that has mathematics symbols,
>specifically set operators (intersection, union, etc.)?

Aside from the Symbol font, I have heard that the Adobe Lucida Math
font supposedly has many additional math characters not found in
Symbol font. (But I have never seen Lucida Math)

Bruce Long
icbal@asuvm.inre.asu.edu