[comp.sys.mac.wanted] carpal tunnel syndrome keyboard

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (05/16/91)

can some kind soul direct me to information on a keyboard that looks
like it it's broken down the middle.  it's supposed to be less
detrimental to people with carpal tunnel syndrome.

i thought i saw it listed in the "new products" section of macworld, but
i could not find it.

"thankyou thankyou" -- L.C.

-----
Daniel Carr - North Carolina State University
internet:  daniel_carr@ncsu.edu
bitnet:    DANIEL@NCSUVM

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (05/16/91)

From article <1991May15.202316.11588@ncsu.edu>, by dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr):

> can some kind soul direct me to information on a keyboard that looks
> like it it's broken down the middle.  it's supposed to be less
> detrimental to people with carpal tunnel syndrome.
>
> i thought i saw it listed in the "new products" section of macworld, but
> i could not find it.
>
> "thankyou thankyou" -- L.C.
>
> -----
> Daniel Carr - North Carolina State University
> internet:  daniel_carr@ncsu.edu
> bitnet:    DANIEL@NCSUVM

I saw the designer of that keyboard on "Computer Chronicle" a few months
ago.  The product looks good.  But, (isn't there always one?) he has been
having problems finding a production facility for it.  He insists it be
manufactured in the USA, and none of the companies he's approached are too
interested.

Personally, I'd be delighted to get my hands on one.  I'm large (fat to you
skinny people) and find the angle of my wrists makes them ach.  I'd love to
get one BEFORE I get carple tunnel.  My mother has it, and it is not some-
thing to be taken lightly.  Even after the surgery, her hands are numb most
of the time, and anything that requires much control (sewing for example) is
nearly impossible.  She has difficulty writing.

I hope the industry gets us some help. I worry more about CTS than ELF.  I
know keyboards cause it.  The experts are still arguing about ELF.  It
probably is a problem, but industry should give us solutions for proven
problems...

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu

cbn@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May16.153326.10032@hubcap.clemson.edu> rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) writes:
>I hope the industry gets us some help. I worry more about CTS than ELF.  I
>know keyboards cause it.  The experts are still arguing about ELF.  It
>probably is a problem, but industry should give us solutions for proven
>problems...

What's ELF?  I am also worried about getting CTS.  I've just completed my
undergraduate BS at Purdue - that means that I've been sitting in front of
keyboards for at least 8 years of my life now.  And I don't expect to stop
anytime in the near future.  I feel like a professional athlete worrying
about getting injured!

What can we do to stir awareness of the need for more ergonomic keyboards?

rob
Robert S. Unoki - cbn@mace.cc.purdue.edu