[comp.sys.mac.wanted] PD screen saver

chen@sun4.AER.COM (Chin-tien Chen) (05/14/91)

I am looking for a PD screen saver program like Afterdark. Is
there such a program in the public domain? Please help!

--
Chin-tien Chen                                   chen@aer.com
Atmospheric and Environmental Research, Inc.     Voice: (617)547-6207

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (05/17/91)

In article <556@sun4.AER.COM> chen@sun4.AER.COM (Chin-tien Chen) writes:
>I am looking for a PD screen saver program like Afterdark. Is
>there such a program in the public domain? Please help!

Yes.  There is a screensaver called DarkSide of the Mac that has many different
"modules" with provisions for adding more or programming your own.  It should
be available in the archives somewhere.  It runs under multifinder.

But then again, I purchased pyro and upgraded to 4.0 for less than $30.  Pryo
4.0 is really about the sme as afterdark (but no sound).  I have found Pyro
to be a bit more compatable than my friends have found After Dark (but then
again, I don't have sound & Pyro does cost $1 more from MacWarehouse).

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/17/91)

In article <556@sun4.AER.COM> chen@sun4.AER.COM (Chin-tien Chen) writes:
>I am looking for a PD screen saver program like Afterdark. Is
>there such a program in the public domain? Please help!

Lunarmobiscuit (sorry, can't recall his _real_ name :-) released a
program called Darkness, which takes a modular approach very similar to
AfterDark.  It even does a few of the AD modules BETTER than AD itself.

Note that this is a _program_ which runs under MultiFinder, so you will
have no INIT conflicts when using it.  In my putzing with it, I found it
quite reliable.  Even so, I'm sticking with Moire 3.02.  Simplicity.
Besides, I spent too much time making neato new patterns and such with
all of these add-on modules! :-)
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company     |                                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (05/18/91)

chen@sun4.AER.COM (Chin-tien Chen) writes:

> I am looking for a PD screen saver program like Afterdark. Is
> there such a program in the public domain? Please help!

There are a few PD and/or shareware screen savers roaming about, but nothing
as advanced as AfterDark. Moire and Autoblack are perhaps the best of the
bunch. You should be able to find them at sumex, or on any of the commercial
information services.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Chief Technologist        UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta