[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Wanted: NNTP newsreader for Mac

sxh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Ray Zimmerman) (05/24/91)

-
Any body know where I can get an NNTP newsreader for the Mac?
I've heard of something called HyperNews which is supposedly on
sumex, but I couldn't find it.  Anybody currently using anything
free that works well?

Thanks in advance,
-
================================================================================                          Ray Zimmerman
                          School of Electrical Engineering
                          Cornell University
                          zman@ee.cornell.edu

john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.163308.5023@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>
sxh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Ray Zimmerman) writes:
>-
>Any body know where I can get an NNTP newsreader for the Mac?
>I've heard of something called HyperNews which is supposedly on
>sumex, but I couldn't find it.  Anybody currently using anything
>free that works well?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>-
=                          Ray Zimmerman
>                          School of Electrical Engineering
>                          Cornell University
>                          zman@ee.cornell.edu
=

TheNews, available probably at sumex. HINT: give it 3 Mb of memory if your
server has hundreds of newsgroups

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May24.025228.19646@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) writes:
|> TheNews, available probably at sumex. HINT: give it 3 Mb of memory if your
|> server has hundreds of newsgroups
Another hint: use ResEdit to change its newsgroups file type to TEXT,
use a text editor to edit out all the groups you are never going to
want and use ResEdit to convert its type back again (I don't recall
to what - I trashed it). Otherwise, you wait forever while it checks
through the file for subscribed groups.

I stopped using it because it seemed unreliable and is slow (back
to XRN via Mac X - sigh).
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu