[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Advice needed on midi software for Mac

ajwm@ukc.ac.uk (A.J.W.MacNair) (06/10/91)

	Again the subject line really says it all.  I have Mac LC and a
Yamaha DX27 which I want to connect up.  I want to be able to record what
I play in real time, edit it and playback plus input the notes by other
means, ie the mouse or a file, edit that and play that back.  It also has
to print the score out, or at least I would like it to.

     Is there any such software, and if there is a lot what would you
recommend?  Please bear in mind that I am student, so I'm not looking
for the best money can buy, just a good reliable package.

	Thanks in advance,

		Andrew

P.S.  Could you also point out what else I would need for a certain
package (ie a midi interface)

--
Andrew J. W. Macnair,             *
Physics Laboratory,               *

billing@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Wayne Billing) (06/12/91)

In <329@hobby.ukc.ac.uk> ajwm@ukc.ac.uk (A.J.W.MacNair) writes:

>	Again the subject line really says it all.  I have Mac LC and a
>Yamaha DX27 which I want to connect up.  I want to be able to record what
>I play in real time, edit it and playback plus input the notes by other
>means, ie the mouse or a file, edit that and play that back.  It also has
>to print the score out, or at least I would like it to.
>

>     Is there any such software, and if there is a lot what would you
>recommend?  Please bear in mind that I am student, so I'm not looking
>for the best money can buy, just a good reliable package.
>
>	Thanks in advance,

>		Andrew

>P.S.  Could you also point out what else I would need for a certain
>package (ie a midi interface)

>--
>Andrew J. W. Macnair,             *
>Physics Laboratory,               *
>University of Kent at Canterbury, *
>Kent, UK.                         *

If you are just beginning with MIDI and Macintosh I would suggest that you
purchase a copy of 'The Book of MIDI" from Opcode Systems. This is package
consists of some printed information and an HyperCard stack which will teach
you how the MIDI works and how to connect MIDI keyboards and sound modules
to a Macintosh. It also contains complete MIDI specs (commands, etc.), a
glossary and (most importantly in my opinion) reference articles on MIDI
and many other topics only on the edges of MIDI. I have found this to be
an excellent introduction to MIDI and helpful in my MIDI efforts.

It is, of course, available from Opcode Systems (and maybe some of your
local retailers) but I found it at MacWarehouse for US$29 (retial US$39.95)

Hope this helps
Wayne
--
Wayne Billing             | male suicide rate/million: for world - 94,
billing@ccm.UManitoba.CA  | USA - 91, Scotland - 150,  Scottish Highlands - 188+

kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu (06/15/91)

>>P.S.  Could you also point out what else I would need for a certain
>>package (ie a midi interface)

Wayne might also have mentioned that Opcode also sells the Midi Translator,
which is the device that interfaces between the Mac and the instrument you're
planning to connect.  When you purchase that (about $50 US) you'll also need
MIDI cables to connect to and from the device.

If that price seems high, I have been told that handy people can solder their
own for about $10 US, and that the circuitry is rather simple.
Bob Kosovsky