[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Japanese,Chinese,Korean

zohe@logs1.stockholm.telesoft.se (05/23/91)

I would like to write Japanese, Chinese and Korean on my Macintosh.
Is there anybody out there who knows where I could purchase the necessary
software? Any information will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Zoltan Herczegh

Dave.Banisar@p911.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Dave Banisar) (06/02/91)

-> I would like to write Japanese, Chinese and Korean on my Macintosh.
-> Is there anybody out there who knows where I could purchase the necess
-> software? Any information will be appreciated.
-> Thanks in advance,

-> Zoltan Herczegh

There was a news article a few months back about a graphics tablet
called Mac Kanji which allowed input of non roman characters into the
Mac. It was pretty inexpensive too- about $60.00 I believe. Software
based there is a DTP system (which may be called mac Kanji and I miked
(mixed) it up with the tablet) that also does those characters along
with a few others. THere are also various firms that sell Post Script
fonts that have some useability..Hope this helps

 * Origin: The Clone: Macintosh Things - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421.911)

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (06/04/91)

In article <675900081.0@blkcat.FidoNet> Dave.Banisar@p911.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Dave Banisar) writes:
 > -> I would like to write Japanese, Chinese and Korean on my Macintosh.
 > -> Is there anybody out there who knows where I could purchase the necess
 > -> software? Any information will be appreciated.
 > -> Thanks in advance,
 >
 > -> Zoltan Herczegh
 >
 > There was a news article a few months back about a graphics tablet
 > called Mac Kanji which allowed input of non roman characters into the
 > Mac. It was pretty inexpensive too- about $60.00 I believe. Software

Anyway, you need Japanese version of MacOS, because Mac should have
the ability to display, manipulate Japanese Kanji characters as well
as roman character. This input system is an alternative of "Key
board", not for OS itself.
   This was demonstrated in MacWorld Tokyo by Scully and Apple's
booth.

sytang@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Shoou-yu tang) (06/04/91)

In article <OGAWA.91Jun4184716@actor.sm.sony.co.jp> ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) writes:
>In article <675900081.0@blkcat.FidoNet> Dave.Banisar@p911.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Dave Banisar) writes:
> > -> I would like to write Japanese, Chinese and Korean on my Macintosh.
> > -> Is there anybody out there who knows where I could purchase the necess
> > -> software? Any information will be appreciated.
> > -> Thanks in advance,
> >
> > -> Zoltan Herczegh
> >
> > There was a news article a few months back about a graphics tablet
> > called Mac Kanji which allowed input of non roman characters into the
>
>Anyway, you need Japanese version of MacOS, because Mac should have

 There is 2 ways one can  do these 3 languages ( or other foreign languages).
 1. Get the word processor designed for that languages:
    There is at least one company either in CA or OR called Pacific Rim ( they
    usually has AD in Mac magazine) sells all kind of foreign language word
    processor.
 2. Or get the OS that designed for that languages:
    In Applle's developer CD-ROM there is at least 20 different languages OS
    on it, inculding Chienes and Japanese ( did found Korean one last time).
    With OS in that language one can use regular word processor like WriteNow
    without the need for special word processsor to write in that language.
 Tang
 sytang@lamar.colostate.edu

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (06/05/91)

In article <15324@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> sytang@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Shoou-yu tang) writes:
 > There is 2 ways one can  do these 3 languages ( or other foreign languages).
 > 1. Get the word processor designed for that languages:
 >    There is at least one company either in CA or OR called Pacific Rim ( they
 >    usually has AD in Mac magazine) sells all kind of foreign language word
 >    processor.
 > 2. Or get the OS that designed for that languages:
 >    In Applle's developer CD-ROM there is at least 20 different languages OS
 >    on it, inculding Chienes and Japanese ( did found Korean one last time).
 >    With OS in that language one can use regular word processor like WriteNow
 >    without the need for special word processsor to write in that language.

Again, you do BOTH way. you need localized OS always.  You can not
print/display Japanese Font on your US OS. Kanji character systems
like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, are super set of roman character
system in code system. So Kanji character system can treat roman
character well, but roman (-only) character systems not. These Kanji
character systems use 2-byte per 1 character and recognize roman
character of 1 byte/1 char, too. But roman (-only) system doesn't know
nature of 2-byte per 1 character systems.

  If an application is compliant with the Guidline (i.e. using only
TextEdit rouines), what you need is only localized OS. Of course, if
you want complete DTP-level functionality, you must have localized
word processor/DTP, because wordwrap, layout policies, etc. are not
supported completely by OS routines.
  For example, TeachText is usable both US and Japanese OS with their
characters. ASLEdit, YooEdit, NinjaTerm (see into info-mac archive)
can handle Japanese characters properly as well as roman.

 But, MS-WORD, MacWriteII, recent Nisus aren't uses TextEdit routines,
so you can't use Japanese character properly even under Japanese OS.
Excell, too.
  So I have Japanese-specific word processors sold in Japan. Some
famous US applications are localized for Japanese Market.

jh@ist.CO.UK (Jeremy Huxtable) (06/12/91)

>  But, MS-WORD, MacWriteII, recent Nisus aren't uses TextEdit routines,
> so you can't use Japanese character properly even under Japanese OS.
> Excell, too.
>   So I have Japanese-specific word processors sold in Japan. Some
> famous US applications are localized for Japanese Market.

Some word processors which work with 2-byte character sets are:
      o Some versions of Nisus (I can't remember which, but this seems to be
	favourite of most people)
      o WinText by WinSoft, Grenoble, France
      o AllScript
      o TurboWriter (I think)
      o MacWrite I, but not MacWrite II (!)

There is a Japanese system for the Mac called Sweet Jam which replaces
KanjiTalk and which allows the use of some other tools such as PageMaker
and Word. The catch is though, that it works by providing patches to these
applications which will only work on specific versions. Anyway, Chinese
PageMaker is available.

The best place to get the international systems is from one of the many
Apple developer CDs if you have access to one. You can combine resources
from the various systems to create a combined Mainland Chinese/Taiwanese
Chinese/Japanese/Korean system, provided you have the memory & disk space,
but note that the two Chinese systems shared the same script ID prior to
6.0.5 and so earlier versions of these cannot be combined.

Jerry Huxtable

miyazaki@diana.Princeton.EDU (Takeshi Miyazaki) (06/14/91)

Other compatible word processors are,
     miniWriter, Acta, McSink, and QRead2.5 by H. Wang.

For more information on KanjiTalk, see Ken Lunde's "Japan.Inf"
or check sci.lang.japan.   :-)

Takeshi Miyazaki
miyazaki@ee.princeton.edu
S.F.M.B.E.

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (06/17/91)

In article <2904@istop.ist.CO.UK> jh@ist.CO.UK (Jeremy Huxtable) writes:

 > There is a Japanese system for the Mac called Sweet Jam which replaces
 > KanjiTalk and which allows the use of some other tools such as PageMaker
 > and Word. The catch is though, that it works by providing patches to these
 > applications which will only work on specific versions. Anyway, Chinese

Now in Japan, version for system 7 was released. I installed it last
night (of course, this version 4.5.7 works on system 6.x, too).
SweetJAM's Kanji Input System (generally called FEP by Japanese) is
relatively poor (unwise) to KanjiTalk's. It sometimes is hard to use
for power user like native Japanese. But mostly usefull, e.g. BBS
reading, document browsing with little input, etc.
As Mr. Huxtable said, patches might be the problem. These patches are
version specific. And ... "kanarazu shimo, zenbu no soft no mono ga
aruwake
dehanai" (translate, please).

xli@mcs.drexel.edu (Xing Li) (06/17/91)

Hi,

Recently, I wrote a tiny Mac application called MacHanzi.  The
following is a short description.

This is MacHanzi, a freeware application for viewing and printing
Chinese articles WITHOUT using a Mac Chinese Operating System.
It is useful for those who subscribe to "Hua Xia Wen Zhai"
(ccman-l\\@uga.cc.uga.edu) and "Chinese Articles from HKU"
(car-request\\@ahkcus.org).

The features are:

*  Supports both GB format (simplified Chinese character used in
    mainland China) and BIG5 format (traditional Chinese character
    used in Taiwan and Hong Kong) WITHOUT using a Mac Chinese OS.

*  The Chinese articles can be viewed and printed either horizontally
    (from left to right, top to bottom - the modern way) or vertically
    (from top to bottom,  right to left - the traditional way).

*  The minimum hardware requirement is a Mac Plus with 1 Mb RAM
    (512e should work, but has not been tested).

*  It is multifinder friendly and can be used under System 7.0.

*  The application itself is small (about 10 K). Two font libraries
    are obtained from anonymous ftp sides. (cclib.16 [GB font] is
    from 128.123.1.14 inside pub/chinese/ChTex-1.1.tar.Z and
    chinese.16 [BIG5 font] is from 192.55.187.25 at src/pc/HKU.
    I think that these two libraries are in the public domain.
    If not, please delete them and down load them yourself.

MacHanzi is now available from two anonymous ftp sites.

ahkcus.org   [192.55.187.25] at /src/Mac
-rw-r--r--  1 yaom     source     672042 Jun 13 03:35 MacHanzi.hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 yaom     source       1356 Jun 13 03:34 MacHanzi.readme

crl.nmsu.edu [128.123.1.14]  at /pub/chinese
-rw-rw-r--  1 1145     other        1317 Jun 13 04:14 MacHanzi.README
-rw-rw-r--  1 1145     other      672042 Jun 13 04:15 MacHanzi.hqx

I would be glad to collect the comments about MacHanzi. Drop me a line.

Enjoy.

Xing Li