[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Need French Sys 7

lhux@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/28/91)

We are currently doing some tests with France; however, they are not running
System 7 yet.   I would like to be able to provide them with the System 7
software;  however, they would like everything to be in French.   First: do I
just need to update some resources, or do I need a whole new set of files?  and
secondly:  How can I go around doing that? -- Through Apple? FTP?

Thanks in advance.
Bryant

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.172709.5783@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>
lhux@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>We are currently doing some tests with France; however, they are not running
>System 7 yet.   I would like to be able to provide them with the System 7
>software;  however, they would like everything to be in French.   First: do I
>just need to update some resources, or do I need a whole new set of files?
and
>secondly:  How can I go around doing that? -- Through Apple? FTP?

The French version of the system is available on ftp.apple.com now (I forget
which directory exactly).
                                     <->
Bruce Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator      bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Boise State University, Boise, ID  83725              duscarte@idbsu.bitnet
(This message contains personal opinions only)        (208)385-1250@phone

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun27.172709.5783@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> lhux@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>We are currently doing some tests with France; however, they are not running
>System 7 yet.   I would like to be able to provide them with the System 7
>software;  however, they would like everything to be in French.   First: do I
>just need to update some resources, or do I need a whole new set of files?  and

Please, don't use such collectives as "they". Some of us are using
the US version of System 7 :-)
(Considering the number of people using System 7 in the US one could
also say that in the US "they" don't use System 7 either).

So, to have everything in French, yes, you just need to update
some resources... but there are many of them. All, the menus,
the dialogs, the help baloon, the file names, have to be
translated. Besides, there are two problems:
1) You won't use the correct terminology. Each new feature
introduced with System 7 introduces a new term that had to be
translated, such as (Publish,Suscribe) -> (Publier,S'abonner).
2)I think (of course, I'm not a lawyer (double though here :-))
 that doing this translation you will infringe the copyrights
 on System 7.

Anyway, practicallt speaking there are two solutions for you:
1) Give those poor Frenchies the 7.0b4-F1 which is translated
in French and is available on the Golden CD-ROM. Of course, this
is not the final version, but it works quite well.
2) Wait a few months (weeks), the French version should be
available in France RSN (Real Soon Now).

Arno.

--
   / Arno Gourdol.               // On the Netland:  Gourdol@imag.fr  /