[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Western Digital "Preference" Hard Drives !?

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (06/28/91)

I need a bunch of cheap hard drives for some Mac Pluses.  I recently
saw an ad (well, I believe that I did!), for new Western Digital 20 MB
Preference (brand) external hard drives for $199.  However, I've been
unable to find the ad again.  Did anyone else see it, who remembers
where it was?

Or, if you know of a source of good, cheap hard drives, drop me a line.

Thanks!
--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun28.011806.14478@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) writes:
>I need a bunch of cheap hard drives for some Mac Pluses.  I recently
>saw an ad (well, I believe that I did!), for new Western Digital 20 MB
>Preference (brand) external hard drives for $199.  However, I've been
>unable to find the ad again.  Did anyone else see it, who remembers
>where it was?

I believe Damark, located here in the Twin Cities area, recently had the
Preference drives in their catalog.  Sorry, I don't know their number
off the top of my head.  However, I seem to fuzzily recall the price
being a little bit higher than $199.

--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun28.192749.3680@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>In article <1991Jun28.011806.14478@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) writes:
>>I need a bunch of cheap hard drives for some Mac Pluses.  I recently
>>saw an ad (well, I believe that I did!), for new Western Digital 20 MB
>>Preference (brand) external hard drives for $199.  However, I've been
>>unable to find the ad again.  Did anyone else see it, who remembers
>>where it was?
>
>I believe Damark, located here in the Twin Cities area, recently had the
>Preference drives in their catalog.  Sorry, I don't know their number
>off the top of my head.  However, I seem to fuzzily recall the price
>being a little bit higher than $199.
>
>--
>| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
>| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|
>| => pejacoby@3m.com             |     I'm afraid this is getting    |
>|                 (612) 737-3211 |            too silly!             |

here in NC there's a "wholesale" warehouse type store called sam's.
this is the type of store where you can buy institutional sized
products, like a vat of skippy peanut butter, etc.  anyhow, they sell a
WD Preference drive for $250.  it's 40mb.  i was going to get it but
read about it rating poorly in macuser april 91 because of speed.  however,
i would think that for a mac plus, speed would not be that big an issue,
since the scsi port is slower that mac IIs and SE/30s.

daniel

Daniel Carr       North Carolina State University
                  "Wow Bob wow" -- Twin Peaks final episode
internet e-mail:  daniel_carr@ncsu.edu
bitnet e-mail:    DANIEL@NCSUVM