[comp.sys.mac.apps] double dots in word????? Now "cedilla"

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (05/02/90)

In article <1389@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld01.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:
>by typing option-c.  I have a person's name who has what looks
>like a cedilla beneath an 's'.  I can come pretty close to
>getting what I want by using the Word overstrike \o(s,\,)
>method.  Is there a font that might have this weird construction

   Try International fonts, specifically Int. Roman Font.  This font
not only has a large number of accent marks for dozens of languages,
but they can all be typed above or below any character, regardless
of height or width.  I don't know if this character is indeed a
cedilla, but there is one.
   The font can be distributed freely; it is on the Educorp CD ROM,
or by mail from
   Dr. Paul Rapoport
International Fonts
7 Cradock Court
Ancaster Ontario L9G 3Z5
Canada
   I'm willing to BinHex and email the font to a few people.

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service
--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu

john@trigraph.uucp (John Chew) (05/04/90)

In <1389@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld01.icaen.uiowa.edu
  (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:
>The system manual says you can have a "cedilla" under a "c"
>by typing option-c.  I have a person's name who has what looks
>like a cedilla beneath an 's'.  I can come pretty close to
>getting what I want by using the Word overstrike \o(s,\,)
>method.  Is there a font that might have this weird construction
>built in?  Does anyone know what this diacritic is called?

I suspect that the diacritical mark in question is an ogonek and not
a cedilla.  In either case, you can get a diacritical mark by itself
by looking up the character in Appendix D of the Word 4 manual.  Some
characters can be entered from the keyboard with appropriate combinations
of modifier keys - see the Key Caps DA.  Others can be entered using
the Word command "Paste Special Character", bound by default to Command-
Option-Q.

Here is a list of Mac numeric character codes and (PostScript) character names:

171  acute        250 dotaccent
172  dieresis     251 ring
246  circumflex   252 cedilla
247  tilde        253 hungarumlaut
248  macron       254 ogonek
249  breve        255 caron

The above characters should be available in most if not all bitmap versions
of PostScript typefaces.  They may not be available in older bitmap-only
fonts (e.g. Chicago, Geneva).  If you need special characters in a bitmap
font, they are easy to create using a font editor such as Fontastic.

John
--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john